WineXpert Eclipse Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty

Reaction score
I made a bunch of Eclipse kits about 30 months ago (give or take depending on the kit). We love the Zin and the Shiraz. However the Cab is fairly ordinary. Are others finding the same thing? I did no tweaking.

Are there other Cab kits you would recommend?

I made a bunch of Eclipse kits about 30 months ago (give or take depending on the kit). We love the Zin and the Shiraz. However the Cab is fairly ordinary. Are others finding the same thing? I did no tweaking.

Just a straight up Cab, not the Lodi Ranch Cab?

Mine turned the corner around 22 month went from meh to wow. The CC Showcase walla walla cab merlot is rated very high here, I have one just starting bulk aging.

I had a similar experience.

Everyone raves about the Eclipse Lodi Cab so I gave it a go. It didn’t come around until 2 years. It’s pretty good. But even now it’s still not as good as the RJS En Premier Australian Cab at the same age. I made it when it was their Cellar Series before it folded in to the EP.

Last edited:
My wife and another friend were allergic to most reds, probably the tannins and maybe acidity, so we made mostly whites. I admit preference for the WE Eclipse line and I do no tweaking, preferring consistency in processing. Of course nothing stays in the bottle long, so aging is not a concern.

Back