Eclipse Bourbon Barrel Zinfandel Cabernet Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bplewniak

Reaction score
I just saw this kit pop up on LP.
Eclipse Bourbon Barrel Zinfandel Cabernet Wine Kit

Does anyone have feedback or thoughts?

Wow! I been sampling a lot of commercial Bourbon Barrel Zins lately and have really taken a liken to them. I think this just made my list of must makes.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't want to commit to this until I find a comparable commercial wine to sample. Zin-Cab Sauv blend is kind of beyond usual experience and bourbon barrel sounds kind of gimmicky. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

In another thread, we learned that this kit does NOT have grape skins. This is a deal-breaker for yours truly.
Yeah, I hope this is not a portent of things to come from Winexpert. The descriptor 'jammy' of itself is enough to put me off a bit.as well.

Driftless doc. Southern homebrew shows this won't be released until late July or August but label peelers doesn't mention it. Did you get a notice on your order that it was before the release date.?

Some regions get it sooner than others. Par example, up here in BC our release date is July 7th.

Driftless doc. Southern homebrew shows this won't be released until late July or August but label peelers doesn't mention it. Did you get a notice on your order that it was before the release date.?

No notice. I’ll send them an email tomorrow to see if they have an estimate. I’m going to get it started as soon as it arrives. I have these three kits waiting to go but leaving on vacation in a week so, they must wait.

Attachments

• 8F4856DD-D45D-497E-BFBC-BE1102AF0757.jpeg
    8F4856DD-D45D-497E-BFBC-BE1102AF0757.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Another interesting pieces of information I saw in the Fine Vine Wines newsletter is that this kit is going to have unique instructions. Here is a copy/paste from the newsletter:

In order to obtain optimal bourbon character in the finished wine, the Eclipse Bourbon Barrel limited release follows a unique oaking process which deviates slightly from their standard instructions.

The kit includes three packets of oak chips:

• 2 packets of Bourbon Oak chips
  • 1 packet of Med-Heavy oak chips
Step 1.6 PRIMARY FERMENTATION:
  • Add 1 packet of Bourbon Oak chips & the Med-Heavy oak packet.
Step 3.3 CLEARING:
  • Add the 2nd packet of Bourbon Oak chips. Normally only oak cubes are added during Step 3. As such, all packets of the Bourbon Oak chips will be labelled with the following notice:
Please save one packet of 007206 Bourbon Oak Chips 60g to add at Step 3.3 (Day 15 - Clearing) in your instructions.

Adding the Bourbon Oak chips to the wine during Primary Fermentation and then again during Clearing enhances the wine, giving it more pronounced bourbon character.

Whether appropriate or not I’m already tempted to save both bourbon packets for the secondary and add a little more medium chips to the normal packet for the primary when I read this.

Southern Homebrew is stating in comes with grape skins.

label peelers, and southern home brew both say it DOES come with skins while Homebrewit (member here) says it does NOT.

Can we get confirmation?

In another thread, we learned that this kit does NOT have grape skins. This is a deal-breaker for yours truly.

Normally, that's a deal breaker for me as well. But in this case, I might make an exception. I really like Zin based blends, and this one sounds interesting.

Latest posts

Back