EC-1118

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
I have several EC-1118 packets I have collected from all these kits.
Can they be used for bread yeast substitute?
It seems all the local grocery stores are stocked out of Fleshman's bread yeast.

I have several EC-1118 packets I have collected from all these kits.
Can they be used for bread yeast substitute?
It seems all the local grocery stores are stocked out of Fleshman's bread yeast.

I should think so. It is the same species as bread yeast (different strain). I would certainly give it a try! (You may know this alreay, but you don't need much yeast for a loaf. I am using a small pinch.)

Funny, usually on this forum this question is asked the other way around! :)

Cool! I be giving it a go making pizza and focaccia tonight. we'll see how it goes. so far so good

You will find videos on u toob of people doing expermements swapping beer and bread yeast. It works.

Also, use 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of yeast and let it rise overnight. Arguably a better dough and it conserves your stash. Not to mention you could just keep a 'mother' going. ;)

Well, 100% success!!! Don't need bread yeast anymore for awhile now. EC-1118 rocks for bread yeast. Super fluffy and lots of bubbles in the rise. Finally found a use for all those extra packets from those kits.

yes, everything was the same. I treated it just like normal bread yeast. No issues, dough way doubled in size.

I have baked with this yeast... The bread comes out much better than when using bread yeast. One thing to remember is to not let it proof too much... Then we will get a bitter taste due to the alcohol that was produced but evaporated in baking. Happy baking

Latest posts

Back