Other EC-1118 is a killer ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it'll be fascinating to see what they say, as something doesn't quite add up
I suspect it's a matter of introducing complexity to make a better wine. Often the simple answer is the correct one. Occam's razor.

The reputable kit vendors employ quality people and do the research. In the last 20 years I've noticed kits are the obvious evidence of innovation in the wine making industry. If they are not originating techniques, they are the one implementing them.

But I still don't get point 1 - they use EC-1118 for that reason (rather than say a more interesting yeast) as a fermentation guarantee. And the majority of whites only have EC-1118 (and I've never had a failed fermentation using just that). Adding an extra yeast for some kits must be for a reason to do with enhancing the flavour or quality.
Perhaps because kits have a future expiration and may not be pitched for a year, two? Two yeasts give added reliability. Will be very interested to hear what Wine Expert says.

I contacted Winexpert, asking why 2 yeast are added. I usually get a reply back within a few days, although the holidays may delay that.
I asked WinExpert this very question back in 2020 and received the following reply:

"In our internal tastings we bench trial different yeasts and a couple of those are combinations. EC1118 is generally included in kits to ensure full fermentation within our timeline as it is a workhorse yeast. Other yeasts like RC212 or K1V are used for aromatics. We found certain wines benefited from a second yeast. We also work within an instructional timeline and different finished alcohol for our kits. Some wineries might use two different yeasts and blend after fermentation. This does not work with kits. There are differences between fresh grape winemaking and kit winemaking.

Hard evidence is in the bench trials for us. If the winemaker feels the flavors and aromatics are on target then that is the one used. There is a bit of an art to winemaking, as well."

Latest posts

Back