Easy filtering method?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbu50

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2018 cab is one year old now. I made 120L last year. It's in good shape, although a little lighter than I expected... I've moved the wine around a bit over the year, rotating it between a new 47L barrel and a 54L demijohn, as well as some carboys, etc. It seems to have clarified well in most cases but recently I noticed a protein haze near the bottom of a carboy... I normally don't experience any clarity issues this late in the game, and am thinking the haze might have been caused by a later addition of tannin powder... (Not sure what the exact cause is but...) But, my question is this: It's time to drink! I'm thirsty! I'd like to break down the carboy into 3L jugs and some bottles and start gifting some out and drinking and sharing but the haze is still prevalent in the 3L jug and will probably be noticeable in the bottom of a 750ml bottle... So, is there a simple way of filtering this out without having to borrow/rent/buy a Buon Vino electric filtering machine, etc? I've tried coffee filters in the past but they are too slow...

Last edited:
am thinking the haze might have been caused by a later addition of tannin powder

I doubt that the tannin addition would cause a haze in the wine. It usually does the opposite by providing a means for protein to bind to it and precipitate out. The super kleer uses kieselsol in place of tannin to do achieve the same thing.

Could the haze you see simply be some sediment on the inside of the glass at the bottom and note actually in the wine?

Well, not really sure what the haze is exactly. I'm only assuming its a protein haze...could be sediment, but from my experience I usually don't get sediment this late in the game... However, it could have been picked up from the bottom of the barrel so its probably sediment... Is there a style of coffee filter that is quick to run through?

Is there a style of coffee filter that is quick to run through?

Not really. Any filter tight enough to clarify your wine will require wine to be pumped through it in order to have any sufficient flow rate. Plus, the coffee filter method risks oxidizing your wine. I'd just rack it off any sediment and bottle it. You may get a little sediment in the bottle but if you age them on the sides of the bottle or angled then it won't make much of a mess when you pour out the wine.

Tannin powder is a generic description, there are many different products on the market, some are specifically made for addition near bottling, however many products indicate that late additions "should be made at least 6 weeks prior to bottling to allow polymerization and settling." If the issue is tannin related, it will settle over time, but for future reference, I would review the information on the specific tannin product you used.

I should have known this because I've done it before and learned it from my Dad. Paper towel! Works quickly and effectively for quick filter. I was able to transfer a gallon jug in no time and filter out what looked like mostly oak dust and possibly other sediment.

IMG_1538.JPG IMG_1539.JPG

Is that about a 50 micron filter?? Seems it would be kinda slow going and not filtering out very much to me, but each to their own.
Not sure about the microns...but I poured the 3L jug through that pretty quickly, not much time wasted at all, that was what I was looking for, quick solution!

Latest posts

Back