East coast wineries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Giorgio

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all

so random question not related to actual wine making but maybe someone could offer some input. My wife and I had a Spain trip planned for August. That as well all know went down the drain. We’re based in Ny and we’re looking to do something a bit more local when things relax and are safer. Been doing a bit of research regarding Finger Lake NY wineries and Virginia wine trail as well. Has anyone visited either? Recommendations? Preference to either? Any help is much appreciated.

I've been to many wineries in New Yok and Virginia. In terms of variety, quality, and scenery I don't think there's much comparison. New York is very nice but, in my view, Virginia is superior. In terms of a trip, consider Loudoun County as a base. You don't say how long you have for a trip but there are many wineries and you can spend some time in DC and Alexandria.

I’m not as familiar with the Finger Lakes, the only wine that I’ve had (at least that I liked enough to remember) is from Red Tail Ridge. Charlottesville is usually where we go — Veritas, Pippin Hill, Wisdom Oak, Jefferson Vineyards are our favorites. If you want to be closer to DC the Front Royal area has Glen Manor Vineyards and Rappahannock Cellars which are both excellent. I’m happy to go into more detail about Charlottesville if you have any questions.

I agree with other posts that Charlottesville is also very nice, in terms of volume superior to Loudoun County. But the Loudoun County area (known as Northern Virginia) has nearly 100 wineries, which strikes me as plenty. I didn't mention it, though, because it's over 2 hours further away. If the extra distance is OK, either one is very good.

A wealth of knowledge here. Thanks all for responding. I am going to look into all these spots and head over to that thread as well. The drive isn't an issue as we are always down for a little exploration...within reason of course.

Thank you all for the input!

Nice thing about Loudoun is that you're within striking distance of DC, so you can do that 'stuff' as well; plus have some night life, if that sort of thing ever comes back. I'm partial to that area, just because I live a few miles from it. But there are some beautiful places to visit - and some of them even make pretty good wine. 🤣 😂 Happy to provide insight, and @mainshipfred knows many of these places well.

Last edited:
There are also several wineries in the Hampton Roads area, starting southeast of Richmond. We had planned on visiting a couple more this month while in the area, but it seems our plans have changed. I spent some time a couple years ago at Hampton Roads Winery with the owner in one of his vineyards. He was showing me the muscadine varieties they had. I've long been interested in these as they are genetically different from other grapes. Also Smithfield Winery is nice. A great restaurant can be found in Yorktown (Vintner's Cellar Custom Winery Restaurant) featuring local wines plus others. There are more than can be found by searching. And you can visit these while taking a stroll through history (Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, etc.). One of my favorite spots is the Mariners Museum in Newport News. Lots of interesting places to visit.

Last edited:
I grew up on Virginia wines and have to admit I have a bit of a cellar palate toward them. There are many varietals that Virginia grow as well as anywhere in the world or at least in the US. When and if you decide to visit make sure you try the Viognier and Petit Manseng for the whites and Tannat, Petite Verdot, and of course our native Norton for the reds.

IF they open back up the National parks the Blue Ridge parkway is a nice drive. You can go as far down it as you want AND as I remember at the central lodge turn out there is a big meadow that should be producing some nice wild blueberries in June.

The parkway enterance is just beyond the Loudon county area at Front Royal Virginia - a nice 'quaint' town with a lot of history.

Virginia has a lot of good vineyards and wines, but closer to New York you may enjoy Gouveia Vineyards - 1339 Whirlwind Hill Rd, Wallingford, Connecticut 06492

There’s great views from their hilltop tasting room, and the owner loves to talk about production and techniques with home wine makers.

Back