Easing into grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really answer the MLF question directly, but I do know some wineries practice is to put aging wine that hasn't done MLF into barrels that previously had MLF bacteria and that serves to inoculate the new wine. So in your case, if you feel MLF is not desirable, I would not put the wine in a previously MLF barrel.

At your low temps, you'll get an automatic extended maceration, which is pretty cool (no pun intended!). Once fermentation starts, you may find that the exothermic portion of fermentation will warm things up a bit too.

Good times. Keep us posted.

Update: 5:20pm - I added the CH-16 MLF bacteria as I have a moderate yeast fermentation going. Punching the cap makes a lot more sense to me now. This was the first time I've had 6-8" of skins, seeds and stems in an organized block. There were also what looked like worm holes (or similar to a cooking pancake) presumably where CO2 has been escaping.

A word on the bacteria. I ordered the smallest amount available, which was packaged for 60 gallons of must. The amount in the package was maybe a teaspoon, or a little bit more. Measuring out 1/10th of that was a total guess. I don't imagine that too much is too much...

Yes, the standard amount of MLB is for 66 gallons, but you can't really use too much and I would not try and measure it out, especially this cold where the MLB will be slow. Good going. I added the whole amount to 45 gallons most recently and it was fine. I have parsed out portions which also works fine. But you're right just estimate and move on.

Your description of the cap is spot on. Just be sure to stir up the bottom of the fermenter too.

Your description of the cap is spot on. Just be sure to stir up the bottom of the fermenter too.
Thanks for the wise direction. Tomorrow morning I'll do just that and add it to my punching down. I can already see a major difference in the juice in terms of the color. It's looking really dark and deep. I wish I could say that I was being captivated by the aroma. Having smelled every adjunct, I would say it resembles the GoFerm the most. That, undoubtedly, will change.

Last edited:
Thanks for the wise direction. Tomorrow morning I'll do just that and add it to my punching down. I can already see a major difference in the juice in terms of the color. It's looking really dark and deep. I wish I could say that I was being captivated by the smell. Having smelled every adjunct, I would say it resembles the GoFerm the most. That, undoubtedly, will change.

I do wine from grapes and kit wines. But, I don’t own a barrel. If I did, I don’t think I’d own just one - I’d use one set for fresh grapes and another set for kits, just to avoid the possibility of MLB/kit wine interaction.

1/10/2020, 7:45am
Getting the lids off was actually a challenge. I guess I need to lift weights if I'm going to be much more of this.

Next time you're at the home store, get one of these bucket openers, it will help minimize the chances of you ending up in the emergency room getting stitches. It's just a cheap plastic handle, but it makes a big difference if you're opening more than a few buckets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Warner-7-75-in-Plastic-Paint-Bucket-Opener/1000027151

I decided to work from home today so I can more closely monitor my little project. I was just out there to check. I may have made a potential volume error fermenting these batches in the buckets that were delivered. As you can see from the pictures, one of them is only 1.5" from the rim and the other closer to 1". Of course, spilling over would not make me happy. Am I at risk? I seem to remember a @stickman image in the 2019 Cab string with the pre-fermentation must being really close to the rim of his stainless fermentor so I think I'm ok. However, now I wonder how a large portion of his must didn't hit the floor.

Also, when I stirred this morning I was cautious as to not create a volcano. I've had a few of these with some of the wine kits I've made and that's seriously the makings of a very bad day...

Here's the pre-fermenation levels...

IMG_1279.jpeg

Here's the levels after 24 hours of active fermentation...

IMG_1285.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided to work from home today so I can more closely monitor my little project. I was just out there to check. I may have made a potential volume error fermenting these batches in the buckets that were delivered. As you can see from the pictures, one of them is only 1.5" from the rim and the other closer to 1". Of course, spilling over would not make me happy. Am I at risk? I seem to remember @stickman image in the 2019 Cab string with the pre-fermentation must being really close to the rim of his stainless fermentor so I think I'm ok. However, now I wonder how so of his didn't hit the floor.

Also, when I stirred this morning I was cautious as to not create a volcano. I've had a few of these with some of the wine kits I've made and that's seriously the makings of a very bad day...

Here's the pre-fermenation levels...

View attachment 58253

Here's the levels after 24 hours of active fermentation...

View attachment 58256

View attachment 58257

My guess would be the cap won't get much bigger if you were active for 24 hours. The harder part will be punching down without the grapes falling out.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad I decided to work from home today. I went out at 2pm to punch and as you can tell from the images, I had the developments of a pending mess. I believe I acted quickly and with the information provided in this string related to the Brutes, I went to HD and purchased one. They didn't have a 20 gallon pail so I bought the 32 gallon. NSF was stamped on the bottom. I did order a white 20 gallon a few days ago but it won't be available for pick up until the week of the 16th. Obviously, I could not wait that long. My experience with active ferments is that days 2-4 are the heaviest and I was just getting into that season. The alternative of waiting meant a lot of cleanup and lost must.

After a quick spritz with StarSan and transfer, all is safe.

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

Last edited:
Potential critical decision. Remember I'm flying out in the morning. I came home for lunch and my intention was to check SG with my hydrometer, adjust for the temperature and take a reading. SG is down to 1.009. Taste is outstanding. Color is good, but could be darker. I have to admit I wasn't mentally prepared for the split second of wonder I had upon experiencing the carbonation of the wine upon first sip.

Should I press tonight and get Mrs. Burgin off the hook? Or, do I stay the course and she punches down until I get home and, I press on Sunday? Looking for collective wisdom. I need to make my decision by 7pm to give me enough time to get it done before needing to hit the sack.

What say you?

IMG_1293.jpeg IMG_1292.jpeg

Last edited:
I’d let it ferment to complete dryness, .990 . It won’t hurt to wait as long as Mrs. B punches down twice a day. She probably will enjoy the punch. I find it gratifying; the beauty and aroma is rewarding.

I would agree with the wait, get it as cold as possible and let it soak out as much of that color as you can. It loses some color as it clears. And you shouldn't necessarily expect it to get to 0.990 anything under 1.000 is dry, it gets as dry as it gets, sometimes there are non-fermentable sugars present.

Latest posts

Back