early wine observations and glass space needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dentman

Reaction score
Hello all - been making wine over 10 years. always a patient/lazy approach however this year I find myself with all carboys full and looking to bottle early (6-7 months since primary) from the spring juice buckets. I sampled some early wine today and its a hot mess lol. the pH and acid is right at 3.65 and 4.0 respectively but it just tastes wild and young. I doubt any of it has gone through organic MLF and I have added so2 quarterly so probably not much chance of me adding malo bacteria.

My question is, is it ok to. bottle a few carboys to make room for fall juice? I have successfully degassed with the headspace eliminator from alll in one wine pump. thanks for your comments :)

I went back and looked at my calendar, my spring juice is just over 5 months old. so no reason to worry about it being out of balance - for me, buckets need a minimum of 1 year before being anywhere near descent

Hello all - been making wine over 10 years. always a patient/lazy approach however this year I find myself with all carboys full and looking to bottle early (6-7 months since primary) from the spring juice buckets. I sampled some early wine today and its a hot mess lol. the pH and acid is right at 3.65 and 4.0 respectively but it just tastes wild and young. I doubt any of it has gone through organic MLF and I have added so2 quarterly so probably not much chance of me adding malo bacteria.

My question is, is it ok to. bottle a few carboys to make room for fall juice? I have successfully degassed with the headspace eliminator from alll in one wine pump. thanks for your comments :)
The value to me in aging a young wine in a carboy vs. bottle is the amount of sediment. If it is really clear and you can live with a little sediment in the bottle, I wouldn’t hesitate bottling early. With a good cork, the bottle is the safest aging environment for the wine.

Latest posts

Back