Early drinkers and subjects for aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rappatuz

Reaction score
I'm only a few years into my wine making journey and some things you learn from tasting, and waiting, and tasting, and waiting some more, and ... yeah you get where I'm going.

With that introduction; what country wines (fruit/berries/flowers/vegetables) are best to drink early and which ones need the most aging?

A tannic wine/ strong aggressive flavor wine should improve with age.
A low tannin wine as rhubarb with 1% tannic crab apple should be drinkable on year one, or strawberry with 1% aronia (color and astringent) is good on year one.
A tannic wine/ strong aggressive flavors with lots of sugar should be drinkable on year one (sugar will balance high tannin as well as high acid).

Key to your question, How aggressive are the flavors, ,,, or balance of the beverage.

most all my red country wines bulk for 3 years, but i go fruit/berry heavy and i like a ABV of at least 17%,
my white country wines i bulk 1 to 2 years, same deal heavy fruit/berry and high ABV,
know my way of skeeter pee port, i bulk age 2 years, i use EC-1118 YEAST AND run my pee to 18 ABV TO 20 ABV i ferment 1 qt lemon per 6 gallon water, once ferment is over , i add lemon till i have a quart lemon per gallon water, once clear and degassed i take a 6.5 carboy add a fifth pure grain alcohol then rack 6 gallons skeeter pee into it, then i back sweeten to FSG of 1.040, tastes' like lemonade, kicks like a mule
Dawg

Latest posts

Back