Early bottling to manage high pH wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a case of the high pH this year 60 gallons of Syrah, 60 gallons of Grenache with about 12 gallons of Mourvèdre from last season already blended in. Both ferments were adjusted with tartaric to 3.6 before fermentation. Post mlf, both pH's are above 4.0, no TA reading.

I did some bench trials with @4Score who has the same pH at his winery (we do our crush and press together) and even a half gram per liter addition of tartaric at this point render the wine quite sour and undrinkable in my books.

I've been real careful with storage temps, sanitation, keeping the barrel topped, and now considering bottling in March vs Aug (7 months in barrel/flex) vs. the 11-12 months that I usually do. This is to put the wine in its most secure environment that I have available...the bottle.

The wine is tasting great already and I really don't want to see it turn. Any downsides that you see to my approach?

You could go even a little less time. I ran my 2014 Cab in the flex tank for 6 months with 5 oak staves and it turned out great.

Latest posts

Back