Early bottling county wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosyden

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got some questions about how to go about bottling country wine early.
Im about to start 5 gallonsof dragonblood-ish type wine and would hope to have some ready to drink for an event on the 1st July, which gives me about 9 weeks.

Can I just bottle it once it has cleared in the secondary fermenter? (I’m using 1 gallon demijohns as a secondary).

Do I need to degas the wine and when should I do this? Before it is transferred to the demijohn or before I bottle it?

What’s the quickest way to clear the wine?

I’m brand new to this but I’m keen to have something drinkable by 1st July. All my other wines will be given time to do their thing.

Many thanks, G

July? You should have no problem. Dragon blood is a quick month-ish wine.

I used sparkalloid in the secondary after degassing with my dragon blood and was shocked to see it crystal clear in 3 days.

You say dragon blood-ish. Just curious, are there minor or major differences?

Thanks both.
Just so I’m understanding you correctly-

I need to transfer from the fermentation bucket to the demijohn when the SG is around 1, let it complete fermentation in the demijohn, rack it off the lees and then degas. Use finings and once clear I can bottle?
You say dragon blood-ish. Just curious, are there minor or major differences?
It’s similar in that it’s frozen “4 berry medley” but the recipe calls for more fruit and sugar and the method is slightly different. I’m using this recipe for no other reason that I found it before I joined this forum and discovered dragonblood. I think it is intended to hit about 14%. It’s a YouTube recipe. I think the channel is “how to done right”.

The original recipe for DB calls for the fruit to be removed around SG of 1.000-ish. When stable (no SG change for 3 days), rack, degas, kmeta, potassium sorbate, sparkalloid. When absolutely clear, rack, sweeten, wait a week to make sure fermentation doesn't start again, bottle - or start drinking!

Sweeten slowly, in increments. I like about 3/4 cup sugar per gallon. You might like more or less sugar.

Lots of good advice. It would really depend on the kind of wine and if you are able to filter it. Bottling too early could result in sediment in the bottle depending on the wine. I made a coke cherry wine and it dropped sediment for years.

Hi all, this is clearing really well but I’m in a rush so I’m planning to rack 2 gallons tomorrow, de-gas and add bentonite, because that’s what I have, and let it clear for another week. (Does this sound sensible?).
It’s dry, tastes pretty good and looks really clear in the glass. Neither me or the Mrs can decide if it needs sweetened but I think I’ll sweeten 1 gallon and leave the other dry.

1F12AAAC-8931-4C76-94E0-CCD46E903777.jpeg

Nice!
I'm not sure how well bentonite (negative charge) will work for berries. Sparkolloid (positive charge) is usually used for DB.
Your plan may work. Sounds like you're happy with it - that's the important thing.

I ended up racking all 4 gallons tonight. A wee bit later than I planned but time has got away from me the last while. I added 2 tablespoons of bentonite slurry per gallon to 3 gallons, whipped it up with a drill mounted degassing wand, kept a ltr aside for a taste and used the rest to top up a couple of demijohns that had space.
Having shared a ltr with my mrs tonight, I don’t think I’ll bother with the bentonite next time and I also doubt that I’ll backsweeten. We thoroughly enjoyed out first made from scratch home made country wine. It’s dry, fruity and strong. A little sharp straight out of the jig but it got smoother as the air got to it. I like it and will definitely make it again. I’m curious how it compares to dragons blood as the only similarity is that it’s a mixed berry base. I’ll probably have to make DB to satisfy my curiosity.
It was pretty clear without the bentonite but I’ve just checked and there is a good half inch of sediment collected already just 3 or 4 hours after I added and degassed.
I’m med up that this turned out reyt, more-so that the eyes on my Mrs genuinely lit up. I’m starting to love this hobby!
Chin chin!
D1E41AF9-FB7A-4AC5-B76E-4CBB6987BFCE.jpeg

Back