Earl from North Florida

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earldw

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy, my name is Earl. I retired in rural north Florida, zone 8B just south of Valdosta Ga. Last year I put up 20 bottles of white muscadine wine and this year I’m planning on 120, some red, some white. I also plant to make blackberry wine next spring and elderberry wine the year after. Last year’s wine came out pretty good though a tad bitter and wicked strong and I hope to improve.

Welcome, Earl. Congrats on your retirement. Your plans for this year and next are cool. Have fun.

Welcome to wine making talk

for bitter flavor in a white grape I suggest that you investigate yeast nutrition or switching to Avanti yeast, , there is a fairly common chemistry in white wines where H2S is produced which further reacts to mercaptans that have harsh/ meaty/ slight bitter flavor.

Welcome to wine making talk

for bitter flavor in a white grape I suggest that you investigate yeast nutrition or switching to Avanti yeast, , there is a fairly common chemistry in white wines where H2S is produced which further reacts to mercaptans that have harsh/ meaty/ slight bitter flavor.
Do you know if that is a reaction common to all grape wines or if that is specific to muscadines?

@Earldw Vinifera whites and Minnesota hybrid whites have that issue. I do not have experience with muscadine other than testing a juice sample, but would expect that the manufacture is similar so the yeast nutrition capability is similar.

The AWRI produced a webinar you can find on YouTube about “Stinky Sulfur” and reductive flavors.

Last edited:
@Earldw Vinifera whites and Minnesota hybrid whites have that issue. I do not have experience with muscadine other than testing a juice sample, but would expect that the manufacture is similar so the yeast nutrition capability is similar.

The AWRI produced a webinar you can find on YouTube about “Stinky Sulfur” and reductive flavors.
Much obliged Rice_Guy

Hate to bug you again, but I found Avanti yeast made by ODI Laboratories, and they recommended it for hearty reds. There was another called Allegro they recommended for whites. Both are listed as S2O reducing yeasts. Do you have any experience with Allegro?

No, ,,, I well most folks in the Madison vinters club are on the learning curve with whites yet. Allegro is not locally available so we haven’t tried it yet. The Milwaukee club is “fixing” by using Fermaid O (1.090) > Fermaid K (1.040) profiles with a little oxygenation (racking) at 1.040. Fermaid is locally available so that has been the current direction.

I am blessed being able to take problem wines to Wisconsin Vinters where they can name the issue and tell me the answer. ,,, Last falls white wine is in the carboy. You are encouraging me to spend some time in the basement and bottle that batch.

Back