Dump or bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drizztkun

Reaction score
Hi, i know i started to ask this in the beer section but i thought posting here would give the most visibility.

I am making some baron dutch lager. And i had opted to do it the way you do cooper's which is to keep it in primary the whole time instead of switching it into a carboy after the first few days.

But it's now been 3 weeks and a noticed some fruit flies inside the primary fermenter and the top is sort of hazy, it's like a layer of weird stuff its like a coating or dunno how to describe, if i move it under it looks fine, and it smells like beer. here's a pic. Do you think it is safe to bottle or should Mr Bathtub have a big glass of beer:a1

beer.JPG

has it been under airlock? You have way to much head space. It looks infected if thats the top of your beer. After primary is finished there is never that on top.
When doing that so long you need ZERO head space.
I think a funeral is coming.....

This looks like an infection to me but with beer that can be a good or bad thing as actually Lambics and other beers can be made this way. I dont have experience as far as this goes though as ive never done that. Did you have this batch covered? When I make my beer I dont rack to carboy, I leave it on primary bucket for about 3-4 weeks and then keg it from there but I also keep a lid and airlock on it especially towards the end of fermentation so as to have a nice blanket of C021 over the beer to protect it. What size bucket is that as there an excessive amount f headspace looking at the picture.

There's was no airlock has the cover doesnt even clamp. this was the original premary fermenter my friend was using for his wine and gave me, i did 3 batch of beer with it without problem before. has to the size i cant tell, probably cant fit 10 gallon if fit right to the top

Yeah, that looks like a 10 gallon wine fermenter. Its just an awful lot of hedspace in there and you just got lucky last time. With that much space you shoul rack to a 3 gallon carboy or maximum 5. What did you use to saninitize everything?

Yeah, that looks like a 10 gallon wine fermenter. Its just an awful lot of hedspace in there and you just got lucky last time. With that much space you shoul rack to a 3 gallon carboy or maximum 5. What did you use to saninitize everything?
The kit is designed to be started in a primary like this one, and moved to a 6 US carboy (23 litre or 5 Imp gallons) after 5-7 days. I think the simple Coopers instructions call for 6-7 days in primary then bottle. I guess 3 weeks in a large primary is asking for trouble.

Steve

Malt vinegar huh!!! The beer flag will be flying at 1/2 staff for the remainder of the day!!!!:(

cpfan is correct above but I think its the open top for this long that did it. You need to get itbur resistant mostly butalso wonce is near done fermenting get it airlocked!

yeah was the first time i shot for 3 week normally bottle after 2, and its really just this week all this started.
I'll use unscented bleach for my next batch of beer, but first i'll start another wine maybe a barollo. and no i dont use same primary for beer then wine. i only use this cheap one for beer

With beer, you need to be much more careful in sealing and sanitizing. Beer hase a much lower rate of fermentation, level of acid, and level of alcohol. As a result, it is much more vunerable to bacteria.

Your beer is taost. Toss is. Chalk this one up to a lesson learned.

Back