Dumb question about bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about one of those stair-elevators. You can just set the carboy on it to send it up or down. :db

I know over the top again. BUT.... Some sort of slide with a cradle to keep the carboy level. Boy getting old stinks sometimes. That's one reason I stopped the 3 gallon size. I can still manage those up and down the stairs.

My neighbor (an engineer) is helping me design an upgraded version of http://www.rochesterwinemakers.org/...aking-articles-by-members/make-carboy-lifter/ . Essentially we are putting rails on the lift to slide on/off carboys in milk crates to shelves. While I have an AIO pump to assist in transfers I need to optimize my storage space.

We also have looked at an overhead cable lift from Harbor Freight but we haven't found a reasonably safe and secure carboy frame to hook into the hoist.

My issue is getting the carboy, when ready for bulk aging, form the kitchen/dinning area down into the basement. I've started to hold back one gallon and making two trips down to the basement where I add the 1 gallon back into the carboy. I've been looking for an indoor type hand truck with large wheels to negotiate the basement stair but so far have not found one. All that I've checked out online have smallish wheels.

Something like this but with bigger wheels...

61pTbWsmqJL._SL1500_.jpg
Well, if all you are doing is going downstairs,all you need is an extra carboy and some long racking hose. Going back up you need a pump of some kind. Down is easy, just siphon it. Arne.

My cellar is a storm cellar. I have benches all along the walls .The benches are about 20" high and if I could I would store the wine another 10 inches higher. I just don't like storing my wine on the floor. Plus when it comes time to rack them into a clean carboy I don't have to disturb them. Just syphon them there and leave less wine behind.
If the benches are good and strong, a few cement blocks and strong planks will raise them 9 more inches depending how thick the boards are. Arne.

Well, if all you are doing is going downstairs,all you need is an extra carboy and some long racking hose. Going back up you need a pump of some kind. Down is easy, just siphon it. Arne.

Arne, I've thought about that. Even about drilling a small hole from 1st floor to basement to shorten the length of hose needed. Problems I see with that is only being able to have your eyes on one carboy at a time and the hassle of cleaning and sanitizing that long length of hose.

Way to neat! Have you ever been accused of having OCD? :)

Ps. I am impressed. I should do more to keep my wine making areas so neat.

Latest posts

Back