Dual Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to try splitting a batch of the same must and fermenting it on 2 different yeasts so I did it this spring with my Chilean Syrah. I split the must 50/50 and one got BM4x4 while the other got RC212. Both of the fermentation’s were pretty similar in terms of temp and time. Before press I took a sample of each and set them aside for later comparison.

2 weeks later the wife and I sat down eager to compare and contrast....but neither of us could really tell any difference at all. If anything the BM4x4 might have had a hint more nose than the RC212 but it was a reach to find SOME difference.

Just wondering if others have had different results? Or, maybe these yeasts are just too similar to make a big difference?

Thanks for any thoughts

I’ve been wanting to try splitting a batch of the same must and fermenting it on 2 different yeasts so I did it this spring with my Chilean Syrah. I split the must 50/50 and one got BM4x4 while the other got RC212. Both of the fermentation’s were pretty similar in terms of temp and time. Before press I took a sample of each and set them aside for later comparison.

2 weeks later the wife and I sat down eager to compare and contrast....but neither of us could really tell any difference at all. If anything the BM4x4 might have had a hint more nose than the RC212 but it was a reach to find SOME difference.

Just wondering if others have had different results? Or, maybe these yeasts are just too similar to make a big difference?

Thanks for any thoughts

I agree that the 2 offer similar characteristics. Also, and this is just my personal choice, but I'm not a huge fan of BM 4X4 and only on occasion use RC 212. Below is recommended blending yeast to use with RC 212. The text is taken from Scott Labs.

Lalvin Bourgorouge RC212® wines may be blended with wines fermented with RA17, AMH, W15 or BRL97 to achieve more complexity.

Did I read that right that you tasted the wines 2 weeks after pitching and didn't notice a difference?

If so, I'm not surprised. It takes a while after fermentation is complete for things to settle down and stabilize flavor-wise. I would let things ride for a month or two and then taste it again. Let the more volatile compounds from fermentation go away while will leave you with just those from the juice and the yeast.

We’ve used D80 & D254 on split ferment wines (Barbera, Syrah) and the wines tasted like they were from different varieties If grapes. In all cases we found the best tasting wine was the blend of the two. I think it really depends on the yeast combo and the variety of the grapes being fermented

Back