Dry wine yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinoDelRe

Reaction score
As a lover and maker of Italian wines, I am in constant search of which yeast strains to use in order to develop a dry wine with out compromising fruit character.
Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
:a1

I've used Syrah for the last two years for my Sangiovese. Has bright red fruit, although I'm battling H2S this year with it.

Thanks sour_grapes, I do use BM-45 quite often. I have also tried the new 4X4. I always wait until the SPG is bellow 1. Still cant achieve a dry enough wine.

Like @sour_grapes mentioned, I like BM4X4 (and improved version of BM45). Pretty much every time I'm making a big, Italian red, I use it.

Thanks sour_grapes, I do use BM-45 quite often. I have also tried the new 4X4. I always wait until the SPG is bellow 1. Still cant achieve a dry enough wine.

Are you making kits? If so, are you adding tannin? This is one of the things I find kits lack, as compared to commercial wines. Adding tannin definitely helps.

for the record, I dont use wine kits. I also add oak chips to my wines between racks. I believe this only adds whatever slight natural tannins in the wood. But to achieve a very dry wine, perhaps the addition of more tannin by way of powder or liquid form is necessary. Does that sound right to anyone?

Wait, what is your definition of "dry"? I usually get down to a specific gravity of 0.992 or 0.994 with BM45. Are you saying that your wines do not get that low SG, or are you saying there some lingering sweetness, or are you saying that your wines lack astringency? Or something different than all of those?

Hi Paul,
Yes, I allow the SPG to fall within that range. I mentioned below 1, because as you know above 1 leaves you with a higher residual sugar. And yes, I am still getting some lingering sweetness, and does lack a slight astringency. I prefer a wine which makes the sides of your tongue feel dried out. My wines taste great, have great color and body. However I am aiming for a true Brunello or Chianti dryness. I feel so close, but am missing the mark

by the way, I have been using BM45 and ICV-D254. They are both great for the reds ive made over the last 5 years. I will be trying out the D80 for the first time this year in some of the wine that I plan on blending. It offers a little higher tannic element as well.

Latest posts

Back