Dry to liquid conversions for ingredients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
<DIV id=post_message_34616>I am about to make a fruit dessert port wine and the recipe calls for two ingredients I could find but not in there proper forms.

Recipe calls for 1/8 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme

All I could find was the dry stuff, how much should I use to get it to this level?

Recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of dry tannin

I could only find liquid tannin...is this a problem and should it still be 1/2 tsp?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jeff

The best conversion is to use the recommended amount on the bottle/package of whatever brand you are using for the volume of wine you are making.

By the way, George sells both the items you were needing !!!

Which fruit are you using for this wine? Does the fruit have high amounts of pectin in it? Is it fresh fruit? You may not need the pectic enzyme. Don't add ingredients unless you feel they are necessary.

Also, powdered tannin, unless a good quality oenological tannin, is more of a waste than anything else. You would also add your liquid tannin at the rate given on the bottle. I'm guessing that this liquid tannin is oak based and may be quite harsh.

I am making Wade's chocolate strawberry port. Posted below is his recipe and directions that are on his website. I know that George sells the stuff but do not want to order when the items I am buying are less then the shipping charge.

Any other hints are welcome, this is my first wine from actual fruit and not a kit so looking forward to this attempt.

15 lbs – Fresh Strawberries diced up
7 1/2 lbs – White Table Sugar
3 tsp – Acid Blend
1/2 tsp – Tannin
2 cups – Ghirardelli or Hershey's Cocoa Powder
3 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
1 1/2 tsp – Yeast Energizer
3 Gallons – Water
1/8 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme
1/8 tsp – K-Meta
These are extra ingredients for after wine is stable.
8 ounces – Liquid Chocolate Extract
3– Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Mix
2 lbs – White Table Sugar added to 1 Cup Boiling Water
14 ounces – Monin Strawberry Syrup
1 Pint – E&amp;J Brandy

Pour 1 gallon of warm water in 5 gallon primary bucket or bigger. Add K-meta, Tannin, Yeast Energizer, Yeast Nutrient, and Ascorbic Acid and stir well. Put all fruit in fermenting bag and squeeze over primary to extract most of juices and then put bag in primary. Pour the 1 gallon of boiling water with all dissolved sugar over fruit. Add another 3/4 gallon of cool water in. Take 4 cups of water and the 2 cups of Cocoa powder and mix in blender on low speed and then add this to primary and stir well. You should have a SG of around 1.110 give or take a little, if more then add a little more water, if less then add a little more dissolved sugar in small amount of water as sugars from fruit can vary a little. Let sit for 12 hours with lid loose or with a cloth covering bucket with elastic band or string tied around so as that not to sag in must. After those 12 hours add your Pectic Enzyme and wait another 12 hours while also adjusting your must temp to around 75 degrees. After those twelve hours, pitch your yeast either by sprinkling yeast, dehydrating yeast per instructions on back of yeast Sachet, or by making a yeast starter a few hours prior to the 12 hour mark. At this point either leave primary lid off with the cloth again, place lid on loose or snap the lid shut with airlock. Punch down cap twice daily to get all fruit under the liquid level. When SG reaches 1.015, rack to 6 gallon carboy and let finish fermenting with bung and airlock attached. When wine is done fermenting, (check a few days in a row to make sure SG does not change and SG should be around .998 or less), you can stabilize your wine now with 1/8 tsp of K-Meta powder and 1 1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate. At this Point I took all extra ingredients listed above and stirred it all in well and then add the wine to it and stir that in and add fining agent the transfer back to glass at which point you will have approximately 3 1/2 gallons. When cleared, rack off lees and bottle or bulk age with another 1/4 tsp of k-meta.

strawberries are very low in natural pectin, so you'll be okay without the enzyme. I would buy a thing of Tan'Cor Grand Cru as your tannin, and cut it back to 1/4tsp to start with. You can always add more if you feel it needs more astringency.

Back