Dry, Medium Dry, Sweet, Very Sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethepirk

Reaction score
I found this basic scale:
1. 0.990-1.000 Dry
2. 1.000-1.010 Medium Sweet
3. 1.010-1.025 Sweet
4. 1.125 & up Very Sweet

I read wine can go to .96 as well.

Some questions questions:

1) I am going to do first rack at 1.02, should I then test the racked wine periodically to ensure I do my final rack at my desired level?

2) Since I am racking at 1.02, it appears you could hypothetically add the sorbate right now and filter the wine and drink it?

3) At my 1st racking is it normal for us wino's to taste the wine :) ? Will it taste anything like final product?

2) Since I am racking at 1.02, it appears you could hypothetically add the sorbate right now and filter the wine and drink it?

Hypothetically, yes. Realistically, no. Adding sorbate to a fermenting wine will probably NOT stop the fermentation. Even K-meta and sorbate together is unlikely to stop it.

Steve

CP is right these chemicals can't stop fermentation on demand. Best to ferment dry .990 and back sweeten to your taste. I dont go by that chart rather to MY taste for what I am looking for.
Taste as you go it won't kill you rather show you what the wine is doing inbetween steps. (may not taste that good on 1st racking)

There'll be lots of CO2 in the wine before degassing. That's enough to 'spoil' the tatse for me.

Steve

ready 2 bottle i think.....

30 days into it.......I believe I'm ready to bottle. I tasted it today and its a lil 2 dry....made some syrup mixed 3 cups to a gallon and taste good at first....but then its got a taste in the back of throat like maybe....acidy. Wondering if degassing it would take it away.....note it was the same way before adding syrup. Thanks in advance........can u describe co2 taste

Snowbird,
Im confused?
What are you making? Kit, Fruit ?
What do you mean 30 days into it?
You added 3 cups of sugar to a gallon of wine?
What are you making and how much?
Simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. How did you mix it?
ALL wines need to be degased. If you didnt then you should do it.

Latest posts

Back