Quantcast

Dry fruit wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

kyironrider

Junior
Reaction score
I have some blueberry and other fruit wines that I bottled dry. Most are 20 months bottled. My question is how long should I wait to drink it.
Thanks looking forward to seeing your response

kyironrider

Junior
Reaction score
Yes thanks. I have drank some of my sweet wines( bs to 1.010 ) at 5 years and were great, very smooth. I have bottled dry fruits before and drank at 4 months to a year and not that good so I wanted to know how long to age it.
Thanks again

kyle5434

Trying to fuse frugal/pragmatic with good results
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say give them a taste. Unless it's a naturally high-tannin fruit, like elderberry or aronia berry, my guess is 12-18 months is probably a good general target. Though I have seen some folks say that certain fruit wines they made took a couple of years to come around.

kyironrider

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks kyle5434
I think that’s good advice. I will chill a bottle of blueberry and give it a go tomorrow and post what I think about it. I have some elderberry that is 4 years now. The last time I tried it was at 2 years and I’m not sure I’m ready to try it just now. lol maybe next year. [emoji485]

kyironrider

Junior
Reaction score
Ok here is a update on the dry blueberry. I’m at the bottom of my 2nd glass. My wife likes it but I think the acidity is a little high so I think I will give it a few more months and see if it improves. Don’t take me wrong, it is very drinkable now.

robert81650

Reaction score
I don't understand why most wine drinkers want their wine dry. The sweetness of a fruit wine only enhances the original flavor of the fruit flavor. Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. But to me fruit wine taste like vinegar unless it has a little sweetness added.

kyironrider

Junior
Reaction score
I do agree with your line of thinking but my wife is on low carb diets and she wants dry wines.
If momma ain’t happy then no one is happy. lol