dry chemicals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwtuck

Junior
Reaction score
Everytime I add dry chemicals to my wine or juice, be it an acid reducer or potassium sorbate, it's all at the bottom of the container after racking or bottling. I stir it in as good as I can. Any suggestions?

I'll try that. Thanks. Might it help to warm that cup of juice? my basements usually 60 to 65 deg, at juice season. Thikin that might help.

Last edited:
I know you are supposed to use water with some additives and wine with others but I can never remember which with what. I just always use warm water.

IIRC, people say you should not dissolve potassium sorbate in wine. However, I think that has got to be bull. The theory is, (again, IIRC) that k-sorbate does not dissolve in ethanol, but obviously it must dissolve in wine, or else why are we adding it to wine?

I just dissolve everything in wine.

Interesting, I should test this. I have seen a brown precipitate mixing dry chemical with cherry, but it doesn’t with pre mixed wine conditioner.
IIRC, people say you should not dissolve potassium sorbate in wine. However, I think that has got to be bull. The theory is, (again, IIRC) that k-sorbate does not dissolve in ethanol, but obviously it must dissolve in wine, or else why are we adding it to wine?

I believe it is a pH driven problem, adding potassium sorbate to a low pH solution like wine can cause it to convert to sorbic acid which is less soluble than the original potassium salt. This isn't a big problem as it will eventually dissolve in the wine if you stir enough, but it seems that people will occasionally comment here about seeing undissolved material after an addition. The bigger issue is if the sorbate doesn't dissolve and gets eliminated during a racking, and once back sweetened there could be an unexpected fermentation.

I’m with you, other than rehydrating MLB with ActiMl, I’ve never dissolved anything in water and added it to wine, it’s all dissolved in wine.

Latest posts

Back