Drilled press bucket question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMarNJ

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m doing my first all grape batch. Usually I do a juice pail and grape combination that I can crush and then press by hand. So I drilled my gazillion holes in a juice bucket, and jigsawed a circle for pressing. But how do you all clean out the plastic fragments from the drilled holes? I plan to use a fine mesh bag around the bucket so I don’t get floating pvc bits, but I was just wondering. Scraping and steel wool didn’t help much. Thanks.

If you have another bucket to re-drill maybe try covering with blue painters tape on both sides then drill...

Cheers!
-johann

Or a deburring tool:
40224-9330-3ww-l.jpg

I don't know the size of the holes you made, but I wonder if a spade bit or split-point-tip drill would have worked better?

Thanks everyone. I did a combination of sandpaper for the inside and outside of the bucket, and reamed the gazillion holes again with an awl, and then blasted the whole thing with a hose gizmo that has good pressure. I’ll still put the bucket in my fine mesh bag to catch any stray pvc buts, but at least the bucket is now smooth and won’t snag the bag.

Or a deburring tool:
40224-9330-3ww-l.jpg

I don't know the size of the holes you made, but I wonder if a spade bit or split-point-tip drill would have worked better?
I used a 1/8” drill bit. I probably should have just run the bit in an out a few times to clean the hole, but with a gazillion holes, I just sort of punched it in and out quickly.

Latest posts

Back