Dried Sour Cherries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warren57

Reaction score
Someone gave me 6# of dried sour cherries.
You can see the label in the attached picture.
I don’t see any reference to preservatives, so I’m thinking I could start a batch with these.
Any reason dried cherries wouldn’t work.
They are still soft, kind of like a fresh raisin.
What do you guys thing?
Any ideas how to prep them for must?
Any recipes would be great.
Thanks

Problem might be the amount of sunflower oil and how that might affect the wine. I could imagine an oil slick on the surface. Oil was possibly used to keep them from sticking together and becoming a lump of cherries.

I was wondering about that. Wonder if there’s a way to wash them to get the oil off.
I sent the company and asked about the oil and if there was a way to remove it.
Wonder if boiling the cherries might release it. Might take a handful and see...

Last edited:
Might try soaking about 1/2 cup of them in a cup of hot water and see how much oil floats to the surface. It might be possible to use a paper towel to blot up the oil. Sunflower oil is not water soluble so that might help.

Spoke with the company that grows and packages these cherries. Seems the oil is sprayed on during drying and they don’t think removal is possible.
They did say the oil was less than 1/4 of 1%, but still oil.
Oh well they are good on my morning cereal!

Problem might be the amount of sunflower oil and how that might affect the wine. I could imagine an oil slick on the surface. Oil was possibly used to keep them from sticking together and becoming a lump of cherries.
You are correct about the oil. They are packed in air not nitrogen. The shelf life is basically when oxidation (painty smell) is obvious. If you did use them in wine the water combines with free radicals so you won't get additional painty odor. , , , , , , But then lots of stores sell concentrated cherry juice for the anti oxidants. Juice would be an easier way to make cherry wine.

I made a batch using dried tart cherries. Wasn’t bad but the color was a light brown, really didn’t look like wine more like rum. I ended up using a Concord grape base, and a bottle of Tart Cherry concentrate (liquid) for flavor. Now that was good, real nice color.

I'd probably lean away from those for wine, given the oil.

If you have any discount grocers near you, often they will have cherry juice concentrate for good prices and that makes an excellent wine, especially when you include cherries (either fresh or frozen).

Make sure it's actual cherry juice, and not pear juice or something that has 1% cherry.

Found a source for 100% juices (blackberry, blueberry and sour cherry) no mixed fruits in them and no preservatives. In Houston area. Pricing was way better than I found here in Calirado.
Ordered some, now to see if they were honest about ingredients!

Scooter68,
I’ll post their full contact info when I get their invoice with my order. Shows shipping arrival in a week to 10 days.
I’ll go through my emails tomorrow and will post what I have.
I paid them with pay pal so I was covered if there were any issues.

A165466F-E566-45D3-AF83-C34D0BA922F1.jpeg 08B267CB-D813-4F53-9B65-589EC3A5C835.jpeg 002D8354-2DC5-42EA-8FBA-33B1AF8E1957.jpeg Here’s the juice info. Sure enough pure juice no additives, not even sugar.
Can get Blackberry, Blueberry and Sour Cherry.
Comes double packed with 2- one litre bottles.

I once made 3 gallon of garlic wine from frozen garlic bought from Wal Mart. Was deep into fermenting when I realized that there was Canola oil in the garlic. It floated to the top and after several rackings it was no longer present. I bottled it and use it for cooking. Just saying . . .

Wow, garlic wine! Never heard of that. I’m a rookie, but it’s starting to look like wine can be made out of nearly anything.

Ha ha, I’ll bet! Don’t think I will be trying that anytime soon. I’m going to try blueberry as soon as I find a recipe for a sweet blueberry. Taking baby steps here while trying to learn how to do it right!

Latest posts

Back