Dried Elderberry Alternative?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CortneyD

Reaction score
Hi All!

I've got enough blackberries to try a port recipe I've had my eye on. It calls for 5lbs Blackberries and 1/4 lb dried elderberries and 1/2 lb raisins for a gallon. I'm wondering if I could reasonably use dried blueberries? I haven't seen dried elderberries at any local stores, but I know I can get the blueberries. Is there another more commonly available dried fruit to try? Cranberries (unsweetened obvs)? Currants?

The recipe also called for no tannins to be added because "The elderberries have plenty". Would I add in 1/8 tsp since I wouldn't be using elderberries?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Elderberries are already ripening in southern wisconsin, I've got two different country roads that I go to,and within 20 ft of the shoulder I have no problem picking 40 lbs of berries In just a couple hours. Try fresh berries in your wine or just dehydrate the ones you pick.

Elderberry adds something to a wine that blueberries cant replicate in my opinion, I made a blackberry, elderberry 3 seasons ago and it is now very nice. I'm looking forward to opening a bottle or two at some camp fires this fall..

Elderberries are already ripening in southern wisconsin, I've got two different country roads that I go to,and within 20 ft of the shoulder I have no problem picking 40 lbs of berries In just a couple hours. Try fresh berries in your wine or just dehydrate the ones you pick.
I agree, there are always tons of wild elderberries.

I just tweaked a 1 yr blackberry port style with an Eldeberry wine I made. It didn’t take much to enrich it. The two pair well imho and will be amazing if you have patience.
I made a gallon of strong Eldeberry wine and my ratio was 1.5 cups of that wine to 4.5 gallon of blackberry. Then, a little more XO brandy to fortify. It’s at 18.75% but so smooth.
Cheers🍷

I just tweaked a 1 yr blackberry port style with an Eldeberry wine I made. It didn’t take much to enrich it. The two pair well imho and will be amazing if you have patience.
I made a gallon of strong Eldeberry wine and my ratio was 1.5 cups of that wine to 4.5 gallon of blackberry. Then, a little more XO brandy to fortify. It’s at 18.75% but so smooth.
Cheers🍷
I did the same sort of thing, didn't keep any figures though. I just thieved a glass to try, then topped up with Elderberry and left it to age awhile.
I suppose it was a bit like the Spanish solera system wher they draw some off and replace it with new wine.
I think in the end, instead of Blackberry Port, it was Elderberry Port.
It aged? almost 3 years, before I was satisfied. It didn't last long after that.
Possibly my most enjoyable winemaking experience. 😃

Latest posts

Back