Dried Apricot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G259

Reaction score
I bought some dried apricots to try to make wine with. Then I noticed on the ingredients: Sulfur Dioxide as a preservative. I believe that the SO2 will dissipate over time though. In preparation, I washed each piece of fruit under running water, and sliced the fruit thinly. To 1 gallon of 100% apple juice, I added 2 lb. of fruit, and figure to wait a day or so before adding Pectic and the remaining ingredients later. I figure on using a Champagne yeast on this, what do you figure my chances are?

I plan to bring the SG to 1.090 before pitching the yeast.

I've had some dried apricots (not fried-typos on a phone are easy to miss) that made my throat itchy - suggesting a lot of sulfur. If that were the case it vouco be an uphill battle to get a fermentation worling.

Last edited:
Uphill for sure, that's why I washed each piece, in and out. I'll keep stirring it, maybe it will lessen it some.

Wow, a day after adding the fruit to the apple juice, SG reads 1.092. I haven't added any sugar, just what is in the juice and fruit. I'm pretty sure that more will come out of the fruit, so I'm good to go! I'll keep stirring it occasionally, to see if some SO2 comes out, but also to add oxygen for the ferment. I'll pitch tomorrow, fingers crossed! Only 1 gallon, so it's a good test run.

This has really turned into a thick soup! I siphoned some into a testing tube. The hydrometer is reading 2 values, when pulled up and dropped, it reads 1.090. When I push it under, it pops up to 1.100. I'm going with 1.095. I pitched the yeast, I have hopes, but am leaning to a no-go.

This has really turned into a thick soup! I siphoned some into a testing tube. The hydrometer is reading 2 values, when pulled up and dropped, it reads 1.090. When I push it under, it pops up to 1.100. I'm going with 1.095. I pitched the yeast, I have hopes, but am leaning to a no-go.

Push a strainer down into the must so that the liquid flows into the strainer, scoop the liquid out into your measuring vessel to take your hydrometer reading. If everything was sanitized, you can return it all to the must.........

Johnd has given you excellent advice.

Your situation is NOT a panic point or go/no-go decision point.

Peach wine must also does this. I just make sure I've dosed it with K-META when initially prepared, and wait a day or two until it thins out.

Be sure that you added a double dose of pectic enzyme. That will help it break down that thick "pudding" must and help it clear. You may even need to triple the pectic enzyme. It won't hurt the wine.

Last edited:
Ditto on pectic. Double or triple it.

My experience with musts like this is that you are going to lose 1/3 or more of your volume when you rack off the gross lees. So I'd start now looking for a 1500 bottle or 1/2 gal carboy or something like that.

Yes, it's bubbling visibly and audibly right now. I did double the pectic in the beginning, and it is thinner now, but I think I'll take the advice to triple dose it. I started a 3 gallon of peach - end of Oct. It now resides in 2 - 4L jugs! Will it be ok to add extra pectic now, or should I wait for the initial ferment to die down?

Adding now is fine, should not impact ferment. Would suggest you take another SG reading ASAP the way Johnd suggested. Your fermentation may have consumed some of the sugar already but at least you'll know that your ABV is at least 'X' when the ferment is done.

It's 1 gallon, I'll take the chance. Initially, I just wanted to see if it was possible. At $3 a pound, I think I got a pretty good deal, but too bad the losses on this fruit.

Next time (I have 2 more lb. of fruit) I will start with 1.5 gallons of apple juice, it seems to be a neutral, go-to juice.

OK, ferment has slowed (or stopped), it's too soon, I didn't even bother with an SG. I'm assuming that it is the SO2 inhibiting the reproduction cycle of the yeast. I have a starter going and plan to pitch half of it tomorrow, then add more sugar, water, and nutrient, then keep pitching half of it. Sort of a forced reproduction of yeast cells. It's 1 gallon, I'm playing!

Never assume that.
Measure the SG.

I've had several fermentations finish (.990 finish) in less than 3 days from starting SGs right at 1.090 - 1.095. It can and does happen.

Last edited:
finally got to test the SG, tried the strainer trick, but it is still like pea soup! This time my 2 readings are 1.020 and 1.030, I'll go in the middle again 1.025. Pitched another packet of yeast, bubbling very slowly.

If the must is that thick you aren't likely to "See" a lot of bubbling. The SG measurement, assuming the initial one was even close to correct, indicates that fermentation is happening. Sometimes these things take time, especially this time of year if the must temp is in the 60s'.

What was the total starting volume of the batch?

If you planned correctly you should have started with at least 1.25 to 1.50 gallons of must to end up with 1.00 gallons of wine. IF you did that then you might be able to strain off the pulp and solve that 'pea soup' issue. In the future you should always place fibrous (or High Pulp) fruits in a fermentation back so you can reduce that sort of problem as well as make it much easier to rack the wine when it's time to transfer into a carboy.

Like I said, this is a fun thing that I thought I'd try. Volume was 1 gallon of juice plus 2 lb. of dried apricots (so 1.5 gal?). Next time (if ever) I will start with 1.5 gal. of juice, plus the fruit. Temp. is in the 70's. The 'bubbling' I'm referring to is from the airlock (1/60 sec.), I know that it is not an accurate measure of anything, but just a general gauge of what is going on.

Last edited:
Back