Quantcast

Drawback of over processing fruit

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Physically over processing as mentioned can release flavors in seeds or skins that are not desirable.
Overheating a fruit can destroy flavors and aroma and create chemical change that can make it hard to clear your wine.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Cap ? The cap is a normal result of fermentation and most folks just punch it down and stir the carboy to get the fruit/grape pulp back into the liquid.

John Pichnic

Fledgling
Reaction score
It's triple berry + strawberry dragon blood with fresh fruit for a booster. I used the blender, in a couple days there was a cap. I punched it down and stirred 2x a day but it started stinking....not really like rotten eggs but somewhat gassy. I did add DAP and Kmeta at the beginning, waited the 24 hrs and pitched EC-1118. 2 days later it was slightly stinky. I splash racked, strained off all of the cap I could get, and strained out the bottoms. It smells better. I have learned my lesson! toilet wash? Or wait and see?

ThreeSheetsToTheWind

Skeeter Pee Sommelier
Reaction score
If it doesn't smell like rotten eggs, and all else seems fine, I wouldn't worry about it. There is definitely a smell to fermenting fruit, just a normal part of the process. Let it finish out, dont be too quick to dump anything down the drain

Ps
I have a batch that tasted like burnt vinyl siding and a splash racking helped tremendously. Give it some time

Latest posts