Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to try my first DB tomorrow. The author lists ec1118 but I was thinking of trying BM 4x4 or RC 212. What would one of those two yeasts produce in this all berry wine? I have EC1118 on hand as well.

Going to try my first DB tomorrow. The author lists ec1118 but I was thinking of trying BM 4x4 or RC 212. What would one of those two yeasts produce in this all berry wine? I have EC1118 on hand as well.
I wouldn’t use RC 212, it’s a nutrient hog and can get stuck / produce off aromas easily compared to the other two. I’ve used the other two very successfully on my past DB efforts, all berries, no added water, came out great!

I made DB twice with 1118 and it worked great. I doubled the fruit in my second batch and it was worth it.
Next time I think I'll try K1-V1116 out of curiosity. If you use non-1118 keep us posted.
Good luck!

I wouldn’t use RC 212, it’s a nutrient hog and can get stuck / produce off aromas easily compared to the other two. I’ve used the other two very successfully on my past DB efforts, all berries, no added water, came out great!
No water? That volume is around five gallons. How many pounds of berries did you use?

Before I made my first DB I read the whole thread about this wine. It took me a few weeks in spare time but it was worth it. I highly recommend it. Of course you can still ask questions and you will but this is a great start.

I make DB for those folks in my life who don't like wine, but like the price I charge them to drink my wines, wrying is nothing but a bottle return. It has little enough fruit in it that Ec-1118, which will ferment a site is the way to go. There isn't enough fruit to worry about the yeast bringing something extra to the wine.

Many folks love this wine. I am probably in the minority about it. It's just not my style.

It’s been 38 days since pitching the yeast. I transferred from the primary bucket to a carboy and it’s been in secondary for about 30 days. Today I racked off the fine lees and it was time to make the sugar addition. SG prior to back sweetening was .992. I added 1/2 cup of sugar to five gallons. SG jumped to 1.008 and it was plenty sweet for me. Author states that he uses 3/4 cup per gallon. I can’t imagine what that tastes like. Maybe after it sits in bulk for a while I may feel it needs more sugar. Better to add since you can’t subtract. Question to you DB vintners, how much sugar do you add?

@wineview I like all kinds of wine. Tomato and green bean I love bone dry. Flower wines off dry. Fruit on the sweet side. I followed the recipe for my DB but after months in the bottle I might just increase sugar a bit next time.

Do you mean 7/8 cup per five gallons? Because I couldn’t imagine 3/4 c per gallon as written in the recipe. That might be waffle syrup.

It’s been 38 days since pitching the yeast. I transferred from the primary bucket to a carboy and it’s been in secondary for about 30 days. Today I racked off the fine lees and it was time to make the sugar addition. SG prior to back sweetening was .992. I added 1/2 cup of sugar to five gallons. SG jumped to 1.008 and it was plenty sweet for me. Author states that he uses 3/4 cup per gallon. I can’t imagine what that tastes like. Maybe after it sits in bulk for a while I may feel it needs more sugar. Better to add since you can’t subtract. Question to you DB vintners, how much sugar do you add?
There's no way to give you a blanket recommendation. ABV, acid level, wine body, and most importantly -- your taste -- these all matter.

When I make iced tea, I add 1/4 cup sugar to 2 quarts of tea. A friend, born-n-raised in Orange County NC (home of sweet tea), adds 2 cups of sugar and then "sweetens to taste".

There is no right or wrong here -- everyone has their personal preferences. I suggest you start with 1/4 cup sugar, stir VERY well, and taste. Repeat until you think it needs just a bit more, then stop. If you consider 1/4 cup increments too much, use 1/8 cup increments.

Last edited:
Do you mean 7/8 cup per five gallons? Because I couldn’t imagine 3/4 c per gallon as written in the recipe. That might be waffle syrup.
I meant per gallon. It's amazing - almost baffling - how everyone's mouth is so different.

Repeat until you think it needs just a bit more, then stop.
@wineview this is good advice. Last year as a novice wine maker I sweetened a country wine to taste out of curiosity. "Yeow!" was my reaction when I tasted it a couple months later - too sweet. I learned but that was the point.

@BigDaveK. So it sounds like DB gets sweeter with time. I thought it may be the opposite.
IIRC, table sugar breaks into 2 different sugar molecules, one of which is perceived as sweeter. That is a reason why some folks will backsweeten then bulk age another month or two, so they can check before bottling.

Latest posts

Back