Dragons blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola

Reaction score
Hi guys

how long does dragons blood keep for? I have noticed mine takes a big difference since last week not as fruity with a bit of a taste to it, I left them in the garden could it have been the sunlight?

Unfortunately your posts seen to consistently leave out information needed to respond. You aren't going to get much useful help when it seems like we're playing 20 questions. Sorry that this seems harsh but looking your previous posts you just aren't helping yourself get good answers.

Hi guys

how long does dragons blood keep for? I have noticed mine takes a big difference since last week not as fruity with a bit of a taste to it, I left them in the garden could it have been the sunlight?

I’ve kept it for several years in proper storage conditions and it been just fine. If you left your bottles in the garden, exposed to sunlight, the light will cause your colors to degrade, and the heat absorbed can indeed ruin the taste of the wine. You should store your wine in a cool, dark place with consistent cool temps to preserve its goodness.

Unfortunately your posts seen to consistently leave out information needed to respond. You aren't going to get much useful help when it seems like we're playing 20 questions. Sorry that this seems harsh but looking your previous posts you just aren't helping yourself get good answers.
Yeah it does seem harsh if not a little strange your looking through my previous posts, prob best thing there to avoid being harsh is not to comment at all.

I’ve kept it for several years in proper storage conditions and it been just fine. If you left your bottles in the garden, exposed to sunlight, the light will cause your colors to degrade, and the heat absorbed can indeed ruin the taste of the wine. You should store your wine in a cool, dark place with consistent cool temps to preserve its goodness.
Wow you managed to understand my question and answer, nice to see not all this group are the same Yeah I thought maybe how am storing cause I tried some from a darker bottle opposed to a clear one and it tasted better. Very much new to this and will need to get somewhere better to store what I have made, work on that today. Thanks for the reply

Wow you managed to understand my question and answer, nice to see not all this group are the same Yeah I thought maybe how am storing cause I tried some from a darker bottle opposed to a clear one and it tasted better. Very much new to this and will need to get somewhere better to store what I have made, work on that today. Thanks for the reply

No worries. If you’re going to try to find as good of a place as you can, here are some guidelines, sort of the “Optimum Conditions”. Shoot for 55°F, steady temps with no fluctuations, RH in the 60% - 75% range, dark, and vibration free. Hard to get it all just perfect, but it’s a target. Good luck!

No worries. If you’re going to try to find as good of a place as you can, here are some guidelines, sort of the “Optimum Conditions”. Shoot for 55°F, steady temps with no fluctuations, RH in the 60% - 75% range, dark, and vibration free. Hard to get it all just perfect, but it’s a target. Good luck!
Thank you. I will take note of that, can I ask were you keep yours? Thanks

Sure sounds to me like your best bet at this point is to read a good book on home winemaking and read a few on-line articles that discuss "how to do it". It seems like you jumped into this hobby with little, if any, knowledge about it.

Sure sounds to me like your best bet at this point is to read a good book on home winemaking and read a few on-line articles that discuss "how to do it". It seems like you jumped into this hobby with little, if any, knowledge about it.
Sorry I didn’t realise this was a page for professionals? I have put on all of my posts that I am a beginner, could it be made more clear that people with none to beginners knowledge are not welcome? I gather your in charge of this site so assume your able to do this

Oh sugar! Then I realise we’re in the beginners forum... are you for real? With this comment and your other rude comment on my other post

Sorry I didn’t realise this was a page for professionals? I have put on all of my posts that I am a beginner, could it be made more clear that people with none to beginners knowledge are not welcome? I gather your in charge of this site so assume your able to do this

No, I am not in charge of this site. Beginners are more than welcome on this site and everyone here is always willing to answer their questions and provide all the help they ask for; answered their questions and provide a lot of advice based on experience.

Thank you. I will take note of that, can I ask were you keep yours? Thanks

Certainly, and I'll give you some background on my starting point as well. I started out like many here, making kits, (all indoors for me, living in south Louisiana where it's hot) and it quickly blossomed into 15 - 20 carboys of wine sitting in a room in my home. As those carboys started to be bottled, the bottles were stored indoors as well at ambient temps in the low to mid 70's. As I learned more about proper storage, I purchased one used and one new wine storage unit, capable of handling a few hundred bottles. It didn't take long for my obsession to overwhelm those units, so I embarked on the construction of a wine making room, capable of storing 2000 bottles as well as some space for barrel storage and actual making of wine, you can review the thread if you like: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/new-wine-room.52998/ . Keep in mind that this progression took place over a number of years, and I also collect and drink lots of commercial wines as well. In the end, just do the best you can for the situation you are in, maybe a small wine fridge, or a small room you can add some insulation and a window unit to, you don't have to go full commercial refrigeration system. If you can just keep relatively stable, cool temps in a dark room, you'll be doing pretty good for your wine.

No, I am not in charge of this site. Beginners are more than welcome on this site and everyone here is always willing to answer their questions and provide all the help they ask for; answered their questions and provide a lot of advice based on experience.
Oh ok sorry I thought the way you were coming across you were admin. My mistake

Certainly, and I'll give you some background on my starting point as well. I started out like many here, making kits, (all indoors for me, living in south Louisiana where it's hot) and it quickly blossomed into 15 - 20 carboys of wine sitting in a room in my home. As those carboys started to be bottled, the bottles were stored indoors as well at ambient temps in the low to mid 70's. As I learned more about proper storage, I purchased one used and one new wine storage unit, capable of handling a few hundred bottles. It didn't take long for my obsession to overwhelm those units, so I embarked on the construction of a wine making room, capable of storing 2000 bottles as well as some space for barrel storage and actual making of wine, you can review the thread if you like: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/new-wine-room.52998/ . Keep in mind that this progression took place over a number of years, and I also collect and drink lots of commercial wines as well. In the end, just do the best you can for the situation you are in, maybe a small wine fridge, or a small room you can add some insulation and a window unit to, you don't have to go full commercial refrigeration system. If you can just keep relatively stable, cool temps in a dark room, you'll be doing pretty good for your wine.

Thanks John! Very informative. My first was a kit and I cleared it twice (have since bought a filter) I think the clearing twice didn’t do it any favours as it was quite tasteless and not strong at all! Since then I have only done the pineapple and dragons blood so am very fresh to this lol! I have two options in storage at present being my garage where the temperature will fluctuate or the house which is reasonably warm. I have looked at a wine rack and possible to potentially get one at a good price but again where I put it is another story. I will defo check your threat out, all the help I can get tbh I do read as much as I can but I work for the emergency services and don’t have too much time on my side and am defo running before I can walk lol. Thanks again that was really helpful

Latest posts

Back