Dragons blood questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Hey all, I made a batch of dragons blood as per the recipe and my wife likes it but isn't crazy about it. I like it but I think her problem is the tart after taste is what she doesn't care for. I back sweetened it to 1.010 and don't want to go any sweeter than that but correct me if I'm wrong, more sugar would offset the tartness of it correct?
Instead of doing more sugar, has anybody used 1/2 the lemon juice (24oz) instead of what the recipe calls for? If so, did you have to add anything to make up for the loss of acid? Or has anyone maybe used a different type of juice in combo with 1/2 lemon to ease up on the tartness? I did a good bit of searching and seen a whole slew of different things you can do but didn't really answer my questions clearly. I'm sure there's not one 100% correct answer but what taste good to me. I'm just trying to pick some brains and see what everyone has either done or give ideas on how to smooth it out for her. I made 6 gallons and bottled 5 bottles and have the other 5 gallons in bulk since the end of November. Would just letting it age out in bulk smooth the tart after taste out? Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, if you used Dave's original Dragon blood recipe it says you can use 1 bottle of real lemon juice. at least the one I have does. The tartness comes from High acidity, I have found that using less lemon juice and adjusting the TA a bit prior to fermentation makes a whole different glass of wine. I shoot for a Ta of.70% regardless of the PH. see if a bit of bicarb in a glass of it helps, if so you know where to go.

I've cut my lemon juice down to one 32oz bottle per 6 gal. batch. That's the size that I can get locally, and I find that it's just right for me. Also I drink my dragons blood, and skeeter pee over ice, like a hard lemonade and it cuts the acid bite as the ice dilutes it a bit. You could take a small portion and sweeten it to 1.015, and then 1.020, and see if maybe she doesn't like this a bit better. Good luck with it. Dale.

Just roll with half the lemon juice(48oz. for 6 gal.) and you will be just fine. I have also used lime juice in place of the lemon juice as it gives it a different taste and is less tart.

I wonder if you could try some sweet and low or something of the sort to help hide the bitterness. Might be an easier way than trying to sweeten it all.

Latest posts

Back