Dragons Blood - Oops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluff

Reaction score
First post in the forum. -- I am making my first batch of Dragons Blood. Primary went great, and at .990 I racked it into a 6 gallon carboy. Here is where I screwed up - I dumped in 4 cups of sugar along with the Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate and Sparkolloid . instead of waiting for it to clear and then adding the sugar. What do you think will happen with this - will it clear - or continue to ferment - any ideas? Should I pitch it? Thanks!!

At this point it is time to step away and give it some time and then go from there. I’d bet you will come out fine as well.

Hi sluff

I have dragons blood in the secondary (racked and sweetened on 5/12/20) and I did the same thing! I backsweetened before it was clear! Did I misread the instructions? Did we both misread? 🤔 AnywayF0CEC663-E9C1-49B8-B4C9-F5BC79928D3C.jpeg837D3034-051E-40FA-BD7E-C063E7851C2B.jpeg - how long did your batch take to clear?

Hello, I'm not sure how I messed up my batch. I was having a bad software day with a new laptop and was a little out of sorts. I can tell you it turned out great and is mostly gone. I'm not exactly sure how long it was before it cleaned and I bottled it - I guess 2-3 weeks....

How long do you let it age after you add that? I used sparkolloid, not superkleer
I ALWAYS add my sugar on the same day as I do the sorbate, potassium metabisulphite and SuperKleer. It turns out perfect every time.
Wow! Thanks for your response. The batch where I added the suger with the sorbate, potassium metabisulphite and sparkolloid turned out great. That was the first time I made Dragons Blood. I have made and bottled a 2nd batch since that time (following the instructions and adding the sugar later). I honestly think the first batch might have turned out better.... Has anyone else tried this? Thanks!

It takes anywhere from a few days to a week to clear. As soon as it does, I bottle it. We don't really worry about aging it in the bottle either. If we don't have any left from a previous batch, we'll start drinking it right away. It does benefit from a few days in the bottle but it never gets purposely aged beyond that. I call it my Kool-Aid wine and I think it's good right away.

I do prefer to drink it within 12 months personally but I have friends who love my 2 and 3 year old DB's the best.

Hi sluff

I have dragons blood in the secondary (racked and sweetened on 5/12/20) and I did the same thing! I backsweetened before it was clear! Did I misread the instructions? Did we both misread? 🤔 AnywayView attachment 61587View attachment 61588 - how long did your batch take to clear?
I've seen some versions of the recipe that say to add the sugar with the sorbate and sulphite and others that say after it's cleared. I have never had an issue following the first method.

Latest posts

Back