Dragons Blood - Oops

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

sluff

Junior
Reaction score
First post in the forum. -- I am making my first batch of Dragons Blood. Primary went great, and at .990 I racked it into a 6 gallon carboy. Here is where I screwed up - I dumped in 4 cups of sugar along with the Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate and Sparkolloid . instead of waiting for it to clear and then adding the sugar. What do you think will happen with this - will it clear - or continue to ferment - any ideas? Should I pitch it? Thanks!!

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
No need to pitch it. It might ferment a little bit more, but with the sorbate (birth control), it should stop pretty soon. It will clear, might take a bit longer and need an extra dosage of clearing agent, but it should clear.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At this point it is time to step away and give it some time and then go from there. I’d bet you will come out fine as well.

sluff

Junior
Reaction score
It worked out fine. All bottled and tastes great.

avan

Junior
Reaction score
Hi sluff

I have dragons blood in the secondary (racked and sweetened on 5/12/20) and I did the same thing! I backsweetened before it was clear! Did I misread the instructions? Did we both misread? 🤔 AnywayF0CEC663-E9C1-49B8-B4C9-F5BC79928D3C.jpeg837D3034-051E-40FA-BD7E-C063E7851C2B.jpeg - how long did your batch take to clear?

sluff

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I'm not sure how I messed up my batch. I was having a bad software day with a new laptop and was a little out of sorts. I can tell you it turned out great and is mostly gone. I'm not exactly sure how long it was before it cleaned and I bottled it - I guess 2-3 weeks....