Dragons blood failing...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola

Reaction score
Hi there

started my dragons blood 40 hrs ago and nothing is happening, I used the yeast Gervin GV11 as that’s what I was recommended when I couldn’t get the 118 one. Also I didn’t have yeast energizer don’t seem to be able to get that in uk. What do I do now :po

Hi there

started my dragons blood 40 hrs ago and nothing is happening, I used the yeast Gervin GV11 as that’s what I was recommended when I couldn’t get the 118 one. Also I didn’t have yeast energizer don’t seem to be able to get that in uk. What do I do now :po

You’re not yet into the “worry zone”. If your temps are over 70 and you have no action 96 hours after pitching, it will be time to try a new yeast, make sure it’s well within its expiration date.

You’re not yet into the “worry zone”. If your temps are over 70 and you have no action 96 hours after pitching, it will be time to try a new yeast, make sure it’s well within its expiration date.
Ok good to hear, I will keep my eye on things and see how I go, thanks!

Hi there

do you buy your yeast local or order, ebay & amazon you can get EC-1118 in 10 packs, keep in fridge will last years, just pitched some skeeter pee last week with 4 year old EC-1118, now i have no clue about regular wines i only do country sweet wines, COUNTRY WINES any wine but grapes

do you buy your yeast local or order, ebay & amazon you can get EC-1118 in 10 packs, keep in fridge will last years, just pitched some skeeter pee last week with 4 year old EC-1118, now i have no clue about regular wines i only do country sweet wines, COUNTRY WINES any wine but grapes
Yes your right, my order came today! :) I didn’t realise I need to keep in fridge is that even if it’s not opened?

Yes your right, my order came today! :) I didn’t realise I need to keep in fridge is that even if it’s not opened?
yes open or not, but never the freezer just the fridge, a year ago i weaseled into a phone call with , you know how others peoples yeast might have and edge on shelf life, i was instantly told that kept in fridges it would keep for years, i tried to pin them down to number of years i only got the answer if stored correctly in a fridge it would stay viable for several years beyond exp. date, and i pitched a skeeter pee, using yeast energizer and a solid 4 years past expiration date, she's fermenting away, i started with a SG 1090 at 0.920 i added more energizer, and more sugar, i'll keep redoing till my ferment dies out at 1040
Dawg

Last edited:
yes open or not, but never the freezer just the fridge,

I keep yeast in the freezer and and never had a problem... now wine is new to me, but I've been doing this with bread yeast for years and I've never had yeast that was kept frozen, not work.

I keep yeast in the freezer and and never had a problem... now wine is new to me, but I've been doing this with bread yeast for years and I've never had yeast that was kept frozen, not work.
hum, i have called a few sellers and was told that, but if you have frozen then used, that is proof positive to me, if i may ask, have you every long termed froze it, the reason i ask, is everything i use i must order, and am wondering if freezing extends its viability of of yeast, i just carboyed this year so far better then 30 gallons of SP and used out dated EC-1118 by at least o couple years over from the fridge, and hank you for enlightening me on that point,
Dawg

have you ever tried wine yeast? it makes for a better wine i feel, i make wines but only country wines , fruits and berries
Dawg

have you ever tried wine yeast? it makes for a better wine i feel, i make wines but only country wines , fruits and berries
Dawg

I was speaking of the yeast being frozen.. that, I have experience with bread yeast. As for wine yeast, yes, that's what I use for wine.. I've also been keeping it frozen. I just don't have the experience with how long its viable when frozen.

I was speaking of the yeast being frozen.. that, I have experience with bread yeast. As for wine yeast, yes, that's what I use for wine.. I've also been keeping it frozen. I just don't have the experience with how long its viable when frozen.

THANK YOU
i did not know you could freeze your wine yeast,,, i mainly only use two types as i only do country wines, EC-1118 and K1v-1116,,,
Dawg

ok LALVIN SAYS TO REFRIGERATE, so you are my first data on freezing , now i got some,,, both ways to see if freezing elongates my viability, no end to learning
Dawg

Latest posts

Back