Dragon Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
DRAGON PORT (DRAGON BLOOD, TRIPLE BERRY, PORT STYLE WINE): 3 gallons

My goal here was to make a port style wine while adhering to the original Dragon Blood recipe as closely as possible.

*In preparation for this recipe, I placed 1/2 pound of dried blueberries into a half-gallon jug and covered with 750ml of Vodka (40% ABV) for topping up later.

12-18-13: Eighteen pounds (18) pounds of frozen triple berry blend, thawed via microwave, and placed into three mesh bags along with three sliced bananas (peels included) and 20oz of red raisins. The residual juice from the fruit and 12oz of Real Lemon juice were added to a fermenter, with eight (8) cups of white granuated sugar (stirred well). Beginning SG = 1.130. To this liquid, I added...
  • 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
  • 2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
  • 1/2 cup of Untoast American Oak Powder
  • 1 tsp Bentonite (rehydrated in 1/2 cup water)
Placed mesh bags of fruit in fermenter, and covered fermenter. Attached Brew Belt.

12-19-13: Pitched rehyrated packet of EC-1118 Wine Yeast.

*Bags were squeezed, the must was vigorously stirred, and SG was checked daily.

12-22-13: SG = 1.020. Added the following...
  • 4 cups of sugar
  • 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
  • SG after adding sugar 1.050
*Bags were squeezed, the must was vigorously stirred, and SG was checked daily.

12-26-13: SG = 1.005. Racked and added 750ml of Blackberry Brandy (35% ABV)

01-03-14: Racked and topped up with 1/2 of the blueberry infused vodka. Added 3 tsp wine tannin.

03-27-14: Racked and topped up with remainder of blueberry infused vodka.

I stole a small sample to share at the Luva Bella gathering on March 29th to rave reviews. Decided to leave as-is.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Dave. I am going to give this a try.

I had some help and advice from jamesngalveston on this one. It came out very good. I even surprise myself sometimes. The finishing tannins (added on Jan 3rd) really "filled in the holes", so to speak. It is well worth the effort. I'll be bottling mine very soon. Pics to follow.

I had some help and advice from jamesngalveston on this one. It came out very good. I even surprise myself sometimes. The finishing tannins (added on Jan 3rd) really "filled in the holes", so to speak. It is well worth the effort. I'll be bottling mine very soon. Pics to follow.

So regarding the recipe, you don't mention anywhere topping up with water or anything. Did I miss that or there isn't any in this recipe? You have 18lbs of fruit in what size fermenter? I want to try it but just making sure I got it right before I start getting everything out on the table, so to speak, lol.
-l

DJ PMed regarding the same question, Lauren.

I used a five gallon fermenter. Thaw each bag of fruit, place them into bags. You will have extra juice also. If you don't, you'll need to squeeze as much out as you can. If you could squeeze all the liquid out of a three pound bag of Wyman's Triple Berry Blend, you'd get about a half gallon...trust me. If you add all the juice, fruit bags, and lemon juice to the fermenter, you will get about three gallons. If you come up short later, don't worry as you'll be topping up with the brandy or vodka.

We too can attest to the top-shelf rating of Dave's concoction! All I can say is that the others present were lucky they got to sample some!! Another one for the ages Dave:br

Alright, got mine going yesterday, will pitch yeast in a little bit. I am doing a 2 gal. batch. I used 12lbs. of fruit and ended up with about 1 gal. of juice. Squeezed the heck out of the fruit bags. Added 36oz. water. With fruit juice, little bit of water, lemon juice, etc. and the fruit bags in the primary, my level is just above the 2 gal. mark. Was kind of hard getting a SG reading as the must is very thick. Starting SG 1.130..............here we go!!

Also, I had to add oak chips as no one around here sells oak powder. I put in 1 1/2cups so hopefully that will do the "oak trick". If not, I will add some more during secondary.
I have picked up some blackberry brandy and blueberry vodka. I will probably top off with 1/2 of each along the way.

Last edited:
Way to go, DJ! Keeps us abreast!

I got mine bottled yesterday. Caps and labels today. After the last racking (March 27th), I added the last of the blueberry vodka to top off. After tasting yesterday, I found it a bit tart and "hot" from the extra fruit flavor and alcohol. I did a few tests and found a little extra sugar would balance it right out---for my tastes---based on my expectations. So, I added one cup of sugar tp the three gallon batch. The final SG was 1.020, just a bit sweeter than the DB I make. Perfect for a port-style wine!

I am very pleased. Now, I have to hide it. Bottled wine tends to get drank around our house. :b

Last edited:
Sounds awesome Dave. Hope mine turns out half that good. I am not very "wine proficient", let alone port, which I have never made. Going to follow your instructions pretty close and try not to PM you to death. :)

I did add to my previous post about what I had to do oak-wise.

I checked your last poat, DJ. Sounds like a good plan. Great things start with good plans. :r

Finished product...30 splits...

IMG_0797.jpg

Awesome pic, and label Dave. Very port-looking.

Checked my SG last night. Down to 1.062, in two days. I have been squeezing fruit bags and stirring twice a day.
I did hook up my "redneck brew belt" (two heating pads held onto primary with a belt from my wife) from day 1. I have been hitting it with a few hours of that per day to keep some heat on it.
At the rate it is going, it should be down to 1.020-1.030 by tonight, hopefully. Then I will add the additional sugar, nutrient, etc.

SG down to 1.020 tonight. Added sugar to get SG up to 1.050, then added nutrient and energizer. I did add another 1/4 cup of light toast Amercian oak chips. Hooked everything back up and will let it ferment out, then rack. So far, so good (keeping fingers crossed).

Back