Dragon Port 2013

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, pH and TA testing are very easy to do. PH is just a meter, an inexpensive one can be had for under $50. A TA kit is really cheap. Ignore the directions somewhat about color change. It happens when you get the pH to 8.2. Getting the right TA makes a very tasty difference to everything, especially fresh fruit.

Yea, for some reason, I keep thinking I need one of those mulit-testers for sulfite, too. I need to get me a Hanna, for sure. At the very least, I should be testing pH.

cmason1957 said:
Dave, pH and TA testing are very easy to do. PH is just a meter, an inexpensive one can be had for under $50. A TA kit is really cheap. Ignore the directions somewhat about color change. It happens when you get the pH to 8.2. Getting the right TA makes a very tasty difference to everything, especially fresh fruit.

I apologize for budding in and going off topic again but regarding the TA kits: I've had an awful hard time finding the correct reading using the color drop method as per the kit instructions... For my reds it just keeps looking lighter and lighter purple... I get confused and don't know what to look for in order to get the correct reading? If someone would like to put this in the beginners section that's fine with me! Thanks :)

Yea, for some reason, I keep thinking I need one of those mulit-testers for sulfite, too. I need to get me a Hanna, for sure. At the very least, I should be testing pH.

I picked up a MW102 w/ temp probe (Milwaukee, as opposed to Hanna) from MoreWine, a while back. I love it. Also picked up some extra storage solution & extra 4.0 and 7.0 standardized solutions. Haven't had any issues, calibrates easily, easy to operate, and will be glad to have it as a back-up for whenever I can pick up the Vinmetrica SC-300

Unfortunately, I don't have the extra cash right now to get the Vinmetrica---although I'd love to have one. I have been anticipating a loss of income at our house that is going to really hit us hard next month. It will range somewhere between painful and disastrous, so shelling out $350 right now is a no-no. I'm hoping for the best. Most spending is on hold.

The best I can do right now is spend $30 on a pH tester, so I'm going with that.

Now, if you all felt really sorry for me, and wanted to pitch together and get me a nice shiney new Vinmetrica SC-300, I'd be very appreciative. :hug

Me three! I have concords galore at my place would follow to the t as well :)

James: check out the color on my concord port! keep in mind this is a sampling from my top up stuff so it's not clear! I'm guessing the added brandy is going to make it considerably darker. But... If my assumptions are right I may only have to add 40oz for my 3gal batch. Will have to check calcs.

Dave, what's the color on your DB port like? Wish I could keep mine like this!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1390438873.941293.jpg

The Dragon Port is very dark in the carboy. It's about time to give it a little sip, maybe. I'll get a pic for you.

Oh, I was supposed to take a picture. Next time.

I did get a sip of the Dragon Port, though. It still has a long way to go, but I think it will be remarkable in the Fall. The oak and tannins are blending well with the fruity sweetness. It still has a tart snap, but---like most fruit wines---I think that will resolve itself while aging.

Time will tell. ;)

dave i will give you my reciepe for a concord port, if you will follow it...
no bananas,raising,choroform,bells are whistles....it is every bit as good as some of my vintage ports that i buy.

I think it will not only impress you, but you will make more.....

Me four james. Could you PM me your recipe. I have never made a port so would like to try a good recipe. I know you make alot of them.

I'd like to chime in and say this port is going to be good! Just as James says it is. Mine is bulk aging right now and it already tastes good - can't wait to taste it in 6 months!

Dave. I hope you made enough to put back for years...years meaning 10...20.... and so on. Cheers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Wha? Ten or twenty years? I don't have any corks that will last that long! :ib

Oh yea. Ports are made for the great grand kids.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Well, I've never had any children of my own (step-father to five in two marriages), so the ports are MINE!

The Dragon Port has greatly improved over the past month. It has lost much of it's tartness, smoothing out. It is wonderfully sweet and fruity. Just what I was looking for. I think I had better leave this one alone. It's too dangerous!

I figured around 22%, but seems to have struck a great balance. I'm hoping it stays there.

Wow! How does it differ in flavour from regular DB? Or is it exactly the same?

Latest posts

Back