Dragon blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trc

Junior
Reaction score
First batch of wine. Making a 3 gallon batch. I cut everything in half except when it came to the sorbate, potassium meta,and sparkolloid. Forgot to cut those in half, so will I have problems?

Where in the process are you? Sorbate is not added until the end of the process (Well after fermentation is finished) K-Meta is normally added at 24 hours before adding yeast then after fermentation is completed.

So without knowing where you are in the process there is no way to really answer the question.

In the recipe after fermentation has stopped you siphon into carboy add potassium meta and potassium sorbate and sparkalloid. I'm making three gallons. This is where I put in the six gallon quantities of these ingredients. I was wondering if this was going to ruin taste or be harmful. It's clearing nicely. Next step is rack again and back sweeten,then bottle.

I'm assuming you have no way to check S02 levels and that Kmeta would put you at 100ppm (guessing) which is at the upper end of where you should be. Maybe Splash rack it a couple of times and let it age for a bit. Other wise I think you'll be fine. Someone want to confirm or correct my guess?
Mike

Your right Kraffty l have no way to check so2. So that will give a off taste that will get better with time?

For a while it will probably have a pretty solid whang to it. But over time the SO2 should dissipate. Just keep your nose tuned to be sure you don't get any real off odors. The sorbate overdose just means it's going to start to have more of a sorbate after-taste as time goes on. So once you bottle, don't plan on keeping it for 2-3 years.

my 1st batch of Dragon blood was good, but I had a complaint that it has a burning after taste. Don't know what that could be.

Latest posts

Back