dragon blood wine not degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1996

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at wine making. It went easily enough at the start until it came to degassing. I'm using a wine whip in a drill and it didn't bubble or fizz at all. Kept trying for an hour with no bubbles still so I continued to adding the sparkoloid. It's been a week since and it passes the reading a newspaper through it but I can't help the thought that it's still carbonated. The temp is around 75-78. Any ideas welcome.

This is my first attempt at wine making. It went easily enough at the start until it came to degassing. I'm using a wine whip in a drill and it didn't bubble or fizz at all. Kept trying for an hour with no bubbles still so I continued to adding the sparkoloid. It's been a week since and it passes the reading a newspaper through it but I can't help the thought that it's still carbonated. The temp is around 75-78. Any ideas welcome.

Your wine is fine! I made 100's of gallons of DB and often get the same result. Move on to sweetening it.

Last edited:
In the future you might want to consider using SuperKleer/Fermfast Dualfine clearing agent instead of the sparkoloid. IMHO it works a lot better.

chris1996,

If you haven't already found it yet, the DangerDave's Dragon Blood Recipe thread contains invaluable information and as a new winemaker is a must read. Yes, I have read the whole thread. :db

And keep asking questions when needed.

I just went to the next step 2 days ago on my 1st crack at dragon blood, of degassing and adding chems and i used the dualfine for clearing. I used a whip on a drill and it seemed like it degassed fine, not a ton of foam but it did foam and fizz.

Also i noticed the comment about "it passes the reading a newspaper through it" is that a reference about knowing when its clear? Reading a newspaper through the carboy? Thanks.

I just went to the next step 2 days ago on my 1st crack at dragon blood, of degassing and adding chems and i used the dualfine for clearing. I used a whip on a drill and it seemed like it degassed fine, not a ton of foam but it did foam and fizz.

Also i noticed the comment about "it passes the reading a newspaper through it" is that a reference about knowing when its clear? Reading a newspaper through the carboy? Thanks.
yes, the reading a newspaper through it is what I was told when looking for the clarity of the wine. Using sparkoloid mine cleared in 2 days and I have bottled it now a week after sweetening it. I found that it has a tart almost sour taste. I'm hoping that it will taste better after a little time, since I changed the recipe a bit and added strawberry's.

Chris, let the wine age for at least 3 months. I thought mine was kinda sour to but after aging for awhile the berry flavor and sweetness came out

Alright. I couldn't find too much about people making this and having to age it for a while only that it tastes pretty good right away. Glad to know that it will be ok

Latest posts

Back