Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I waited the full 24 hours and just pitched my yeast. I am officially making my very first batch of wine! Now back to looking for great deals on more carboys. from what I've read, one can never have to many.

Snozberry Wine

Well I just lost most of the day reading through this thread. I will definitely be making a small batch of this in the near future! I need to get that cider out of my carboy.

Has anyone tried making this with just raspberries? I saw some people say they don't really care for raspberry, but I am the opposite... I love raspberries the most.

I have searched the interwebs for a recipe on making Korean black raspberry wine (bokbunja joo) but didn't find anything concrete. It is high alcohol content (18-20%) and made with Asian black raspberries (wine berries?) native to Korea, Japan, and China (they are also considered to be a bit of an invasive species in some places in the US).

Has anyone tried making this with just raspberries? I saw some people say they don't really care for raspberry, but I am the opposite... I love raspberries the most.

That does sound good. I also love raspberries!

i have made a straight rasbperry at 15%abv and it was very good, had a nice berry taste, but not strong.

Hey StoneCreek keep a check on craigslist also a lot of times ya can find really good deals on wine making equipment there.

Wow! That's a lot of reading. Stonecreek, I'll hold you to that offer to critique your DB. PM me when it's ready!

Because of the overwhelming interest in this recipe, we are trying to consolidate the discussion here: DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine.

In the OP, there, you will find the newest version of the recipe, and an attached pfd file for easy reference.

Enjoy!

Wow! That's a lot of reading. Stonecreek, I'll hold you to that offer to critique your DB. PM me when it's ready!

Because of the overwhelming interest in this recipe, we are trying to consolidate the discussion here: DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine.

In the OP, there, you will find the newest version of the recipe, and an attached pfd file for easy reference.

Enjoy!

I also read that thread from beginning to end and also saved the PDF (along with a few other recipes found on here). I will definitely PM you for your address when this finishes up.

Quick question I started DB yesterday so today I'm adding the yeast do I seal the lid and put in vapo lock or continue to leave the lid loose on top with a towel over it?

Rmstuck Newbie

Leave the lid loose or place a clean towel over the top. My first batch had a very vigorous ferment. You definitely don't want a tight seal or airlock until you rack to secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

leave loose with a towel......use your air lock when you move to the second container.

Just so folks know... Without issues I've done 5 DB batches and gone to dry in the primary bucket. I did remove the fruit and lock down at SG 1.010-1.000. I know the process differs from the DB instructions found in the first post of this thread but I loke to use my RJS VdV steps for making the DB. When I do higher end wins (e.g. RJS CC WS) I will rack to do secondary in a carboy.

New guy here

when making this I have 12 lbs of triple berry fruit blend frozen and this calls for 6 can I use all 12 lbs plus 6 banana's with the lemon juice? I really like the triple berry never had homemade wine till this year and triple berry was the first glass I had and I LOVED IT,thanks to a friend who's taught me the basics. And can the SG be brought up to 1.090 starting?

I racked the 5 g. DB today and backsweetened with simple sugar syrup to 1.006 SG which tasted pretty good to us. Now it is resting back in the carboy for a few days while I am waiting on an order of corks to bottle almost 4.75 .The wine has a little more headspace now as it only rises to just over the shoulder of that 5 g. bottle- will that be ok for a few days? I have another gallon still fermenting of the higher ABV as noted in a previous post. I have a 1/2 g bottle that is half filled with wine+lees that I am letting settle to see if I can save anymore of it or not. Probably will get tossed out though.
My question: do I have to put anything else in that 5 g batch now or when I bottle in a few days? It was already treated with k-meta and k sorbate and fining agents when I racked it last week.
This tastes pretty good right now and this has been a fun wine to make.
Thanks.
Joe

I racked the 5 g. DB today and backsweetened with simple sugar syrup to 1.006 SG which tasted pretty good to us. Now it is resting back in the carboy for a few days while I am waiting on an order of corks to bottle almost 4.75 .The wine has a little more headspace now as it only rises to just over the shoulder of that 5 g. bottle- will that be ok for a few days? I have another gallon still fermenting of the higher ABV as noted in a previous post. I have a 1/2 g bottle that is half filled with wine+lees that I am letting settle to see if I can save anymore of it or not. Probably will get tossed out though.
My question: do I have to put anything else in that 5 g batch now or when I bottle in a few days? It was already treated with k-meta and k sorbate and fining agents when I racked it last week.
This tastes pretty good right now and this has been a fun wine to make.
Thanks.
Joe

Nothing else that you should add. If I may, you could filter the 5g before bottling.

Will

thx Willie. It looks perfectly clear already. And I think I will save about one 750ml bottle from how the lees settled down over night. That looks clear too.
So the yield will be just about 5 gal. of the regular 11% alcohol batch, plus another gallon of the higher alcohol batch, not sure what that ABV will actually end up.
Joe

Latest posts

Back