Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting My Feet Wet

Well, after reading over 100 pages of wild enthusiasm on this thread and the 15 day thread I can't help but get the DB bug so I'm starting a batch of Dave's original recipe Dragon Blood as soon as the berries are thawed.
A lot of the recipes others have tweaked from the original sound great too so I'll probably end up with 60 gallons of different DB batches by Christmas!:HB
Looks like I'll be collecting car keys from peeps over to visit between Christmas and New Year's Eve WooHoo!!
This is only my 3rd batch of wine ever so I hope I can pull this off. Fingers crossed.

You will be fine. Just follow the instructions and you can't miss. Not sure if Dave has changed them yet or not, but most of us are only using 1 bottle (48oz.)of lemon juice, instead of the two he originally posted.

agree with wineforfun, one bottle of lemon is excellent, two and I got heartburn ...lol
you will be fine, and lots of help here including the man himself, dangerdave

i would try an apple with brown sugar and spice for winter...you got plenty of apples where you are...

Well, after reading over 100 pages of wild enthusiasm on this thread and the 15 day thread I can't help but get the DB bug so I'm starting a batch of Dave's original recipe Dragon Blood as soon as the berries are thawed.
A lot of the recipes others have tweaked from the original sound great too so I'll probably end up with 60 gallons of different DB batches by Christmas!:HB
Looks like I'll be collecting car keys from peeps over to visit between Christmas and New Year's Eve WooHoo!!
This is only my 3rd batch of wine ever so I hope I can pull this off. Fingers crossed.

Good luck, Bill. If you follow the directions, you can't hardly miss. Lots of great folks to help out with advice and questions, should you stumble. We have a league of our own! :sm

I have no idea lol. Guess I'm looking for a quick recipe for fall. I obviously wouldn't use lemon juice but I'm no expert so that's why I'm asking. :D

Well, I guess you could make up a 5 or 6 gallon batch and when it has ran dry, rack it to 5 or 6 1 gal. carboys and experiment with pumpkin spice, clove, peppermint, chocolate, etc. in each one to try different things.
Heck, I may try that for a mixed berry/chocolate flavor or a mixed berry/clove flavor.
It is never ending with DB.

OH, chocolate Dragon Blood! Now you're talking! Might have to follow your lead, DJ, and split a batch for multiple trials. Great idea!

Just started my first DB! I honestly just want to drink it now. Had to do multiple taste "tests" to be sure it was right. So goooood!!!
I'm hoping for a quick ferment so in 2 weeks I can serve some at the party were having. I won't push it but I'll be making sure the conditions are as perfect as possible.

Just racked another 6 gallon batch to secondary but added 9# triple berry, 6 in primary and 3 in secondary, and ran out of sugar so half the sweetness is coming from orange clover honey. only 48oz of real lemon this time, since the last batch was a little acidic for my tastes. Can't wait to see how the variations taste.

Thinking I will backsweeten with honey as well, given that I currently have more honey on hand than sugar (Not something to complain about, I know. )

wineforfun said:
Well, I guess you could make up a 5 or 6 gallon batch and when it has ran dry, rack it to 5 or 6 1 gal. carboys and experiment with pumpkin spice, clove, peppermint, chocolate, etc. in each one to try different things.
Heck, I may try that for a mixed berry/chocolate flavor or a mixed berry/clove flavor.
It is never ending with DB.

Great ideas!! Thanks! Now to go get more 1 gal carboys..... :D

I mixed up the must last night for my 1st batch of ruby goodness. Everything went fairly well except for the addition of the tannin. I have never used it before and it was a real pain mixing it into the must. It clumped as soon as I added it.Does anyone have a tip for adding tannin that doesn't make it a 10 minute chore getting it to dissolve?
Once I finished preparing the must it was kind of pale looking like a strawberry lemonade but today when I pitched the yeast it had that signature ruby red glow that I love so much!
I hydrated the 1118 and made a starter by adding a 1/4 cup of the must to it after the 15 minute hydrating schedule. An hour later the yeasties were feasting on it making a nice frothy top on my starter. Pitched it into the fermenter and I hope to see a pink foamy head on it in the morning.
What's the easiest way to add pics to posts here?

I always add the tannin first, using warmer water to start, so it will desolve better---and stir, stir, stir! Maybe someone else has a better method.

I use Photobucket to post my pics. Link to the picture using the pics icon in the forum post tool bar, and blam! there it is! I think you can also start a picture album here (on this Forum site) somewhere, but you'll have to ask one of the mod/admins about that.

Keep us posted on your progress, Bill, we're alway up for more DB stories! :r

Hmmm warm water I'll have to try that on my next batch.
Thanks for the advice on the pics Dave now all I have to do is learn how to use Photobucket......
I clicked on the insert image icon just to see what would happen and it asked for a URL: interesting.I'll look into the picture album on this site too.Maybe I can add using" Manage Attachment" button for pics loaded on my computer?
I just love this and the 15 minute thread! It's like a wine making series that I don't want to end!
Bill

Latest posts

Back