Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i started some dragon blood today. pitching the yeast tomorrow. that stuff tastes amazing just like it is.pour it on a flip-flop and you could eat it

Really?! My Rosso is still aging in it's carboy, but that does sound good. How does it taste?

Dinner with friends tonight and we offered both, along with our Tropical. All were hits, but I poured the two together and then that was all everyone wanted. It added depth and thickness to the Dragons Blood, and a berry lingering zing to the Rosso. I may blend a gallon or two of my next finished batches and bottle them that way.

thank you Dave. I bottled today!!

015.jpg
020.jpg

010.jpg

Those are both great labels---and beautiful wines---nbwii and Tess! Nice job you two! The DB craze continues! :try

Does anyone test your pH when you make Dave's recipe? I was curious if my pH of 2.97 is unusually low or pretty typical. My specific gravity is 1.110 so I may dilute a little bit anyway.

No, Morgan. I have never tested the pH of any of my wines. I make them according to taste. Two 48oz bottles of lemon juice was too acidic for me, so I went to one. Just right!

So in case you haven't seen the other thread, I have a batch of strawberry going that spontaneously erupted in fermentation the day before I had scheduled to pitch yeast. It is looking as smelling great. I am gathering ingredients now for the end of the week because after racking, I am definitely splitting the slurry to start a strawberry SP by itself, and then also another batch of DB. Wild feral yeast....which will make a Feral Dragon? :)

So Dave did you like the move to the Cuvée yeast?

I've been negligent in my comparisons, Jim, in that I have not tried them side by side. I'll do so soon (I hope) and let you know.

I started a batch of DB and it does smell great so far. It's fermenting pretty good now and when I'm stirring it up I just want to drink it already, LOL!

The wife has been on me to make another batch of DB for this summer. So I started it today and didn't deviate to much from the original recipe:
5gal batch.
approx 40oz of RealLemon
1 3lb bag of Sunrise Grower 'Triple Blend' (Strawberry, Wild Blueberry & Raspberry) found at Walmart
1 1/2 bags (4.5lbs) Wyers Triple Berry (Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry)
4 sliced banana's
22 cups of sugar to S.G. 1.082 (will check S.G. again after 24 hrs)
3tsp liquid tannin
4tsp Nutrient
3tsp Energizer
3 tsp Pectic Enzyme

Should make for a nice hot summer day cocktail.

Thought I would report back on a bottle of DB I just drank. It was made with the original recipe and was from my first ever batch . It had been in the bottle for 4 months. It tasted awesome and so smooth. Compared to drinking a bottle from this batch that was only 1 month old, night and day. It has almost lost all the acidity from the lemon juice and really turned into a great wine.
I have been making all my latest DB batches with 1/2 the lemon juice but may go back to the original...................of course, you have to be able to let the bottles sit for 4+ months. :)

Again, thanks to Dave and Lon.

you have to be able to let the bottles sit for 4+ months. :)

im only allowed to make 200 gallons a year how am i supposed to let it age for that long :slp

:) :) :)

so what you are saying is i shouldn't use my racking cane as a straw? :)

I actually have some from my first batch i made its about ehh 8 months old, im gonna have to take a sample soon just to see how it turned out.

Last edited:
dend,
you will be very surprised compared to what it is like when only a week or month old.

Call your senator and get that amount upped to around 400 gal./year. :)

For the "Especial" variant do you add bananas with peels or without?

Mods, I think it's time this one was stickied. :)

Just racked my batch to carboy. I already added kmeta to protect during transfer but no sorbate yet. Once it's clear I was considering carbonating a few beer bottles with priming sugar. I don't plan on back sweetening. Is that little bit of kmeta going to inhibit carbonating? If it goes completely clear is there enough yeast left to restart fermentation enough to get carbonation? Thanks Dave for the recipe, I've been wanting to try this one for awhile!

Latest posts

Back