Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cimbaliw,
I only have 1 batch of DB and a kit under my belt, but degassing has been my problem with both. I use a drill stir for mechanical degassing and the All-in-One Wine Pump for racking, transferring, degassing, filtering and bottling.

On my kit the manufacturer said only 2-3 minutes about 3-4 times to degas. I splash racked under vacuum 4 times. I still had CO2, then I drill stirred 3 times for 6-8 minutes. It was much better and I don't know if you ever get it all out.

My DB was similar in that I splash racked under vacuum 4 times. I then used the drill stir to get the rest out. I then vacuum filtered and still had some very large bubbles come up the racking cane, which is CO2 coming out under vacuum.

If you could get your temperature up to the mid 70's, the CO2 will come out easier!

I've asked several on this forum and they all say that each batch is different, even if it's the same recipe. Be careful with that amount of CO2 if using a drill stir, as you can agitate it and have a volcano decorate your wine area! Just keep stirring and vacuuming. I also asked how much CO2 is Too much, and the answer was it depends on your taste. A little too bitter or too much tingle on your tongue is too much.

I've attached a document from Wine Experts (kit manufacturer) that they sent be on degassing. A promo for their 'wine whip', but information that applies to any degassing. Wine Experts is NOT a fan of vacuum degassing their kits, they told me that using vacuum would nullify their warranty on the kit!

I was at a winery today and tasted a Fredonia that had a slight tingle on my tongue. I asked the maker about it. He said that he didn't get all the CO2 out. I'm not a champagne fan, but the spicy Fredonia with a very little tingle was good enough for me to buy a couple bottles!

Like everything else in wines - it's up to your taste buds! Good Luck!

View attachment Winexperts - Wine Whip Degassing.pdf

Last edited:
I've done 2 batches of DB, but I'm definitely no expert (far from), and it's difficult to tell from the resolution I see on my screen, but those bubbles look a little bigger than the teeny CO2 bubbles I usually see when degassing. Have you tried putting a little in a container (maybe the one you take hydrometer readings in), covering it, giving it a good shake, & seeing if you hear a "puff" when you uncover it? I've heard you can actually pull other gasses than CO2 from the wine after degassing is complete... Shown by larger bubbles. I agree with the previous post as well... If it suits your taste, you can probably call it "done." Cheers to your DB and continued thanks to Dave (& Lon) for yummy recipes!!

So last night I had a bottle. about 8 weeks old. It had a bubble gum flavor. Anyone else have this?

I started mine tonight my first gravity reading was 1.060 did I do something wrong?

I started mine tonight my first gravity reading was 1.060 did I do something wrong?

Check you Hydrometer. Fill your test cylinder with water. Should be 1.00
Stir more as you may not have fully disolved your sugar.

Dave, its the same. I may have lost count on the 20 cups of sugar by one cup. Could that be it?

I went ahead and added a cup and its reading correct now.

Dave, its the same. I may have lost count on the 20 cups of sugar by one cup. Could that be it?

Absolutely it could. But you should check first. Once you piut in too much sugar then you have to add liquid then youve watered down your mix or outgrown your primary.
20 cups is easy , 2, 5lb bags

Last night I broke my hydrometer, so this am I got out a spare, new hydrometer. Checked it when I got it out but not this am. I store mine in a bucket full of star san. This morning my reading was 1.072 so I added sugar. Then thought to recheck the hydrometer. It is reading off .1 so I now have a 1.86 batch. A little on the high side.

Good luck

Last edited:
I racked my first batch yesterday to get the wine off the fine lees in the secondary, and snuck a sampling in at the same time. I noticed a distinct yeasty sour flavour. It's partially masked by the acidity from the lemon, but I can tell it's there. Will this go away with a bit of aging or should I worry?

I went ahead and added a cup and its reading correct now.

Sorry, Tess. I got a little busy with some truck repairs the past few days, and fell behind checking the posts. I'm glad DaveL got you tuned in. Great bunch of people here!

Good luck on the DB!

I racked my first batch yesterday to get the wine off the fine lees in the secondary, and snuck a sampling in at the same time. I noticed a distinct yeasty sour flavour. It's partially masked by the acidity from the lemon, but I can tell it's there. Will this go away with a bit of aging or should I worry?

Is it in the clearing stage now, Rob, I presume? The best I can say is that this happens sometimes. I have had this happen, too. Newly fermented wines sometime display a yeasty component. Give it some time for the yeast to settle out completely, and it will be fine. Time is your friend.

Dave: I should have mentioned that I already used kieselsol and chitosan to clear, and they worked quite well. I'm going to give it another week to see if anything else precipitates out. Time is normally on my side but I have to leave for 3 1/2 months in April so I want to get this batch sorted out!

Thanks,

Danger Dave - I got a problem - yeast never started - has not happened to me before. I did not have any yeast energizer but I started the yeast anyway on Monday nite. Nothing happened so Tuesday evening I bought some energizer and a heating belt. It is Wednesday morning and still nothing - how long should I wait and can I pitch in some more yeast?

My cutoff point usually 72 hours. I'd give it until late tomorrow, Dino. If it doesn't take off, pitch in some more yeast. Did you rehydrate or make a starter from the yeast? What yeast did you use?

Inquiring minds want to know! :h

So I gave a coworker a bottle of DB. His wife wants to buy 4 bottles. Of course I cant sell him any but he does homebrew beer,,,Sooo.
I was glad to get get positve feedback.

I bottled my 1st batch, including one 1/2 gallon jug, of the basic DB recipe by Danger Dave. This was my first chance to have others sample it (I sneaked tastes at every stage myself). I had nothing but raving reviews. In fact I coerced a guy that adamantly said "I don't like wine and I won't drink it" to at least try it. After 2 1/2 glasses he is now a reformed wine drinker! With the comment that "I could really enjoy this stuff!

It doesn't get any better than that!

Thanks to all and especially Danger Dave!

Dave, It started cooking last nite. I made 2 mistake - 1) Idid not hydrate the yeast - never for a kit so I missed that step. 2) the yeast enegizer really helped.
The yeast was no 1118 it was the same company but I think it was something like 1328. I don't exactly remember the numbers.
All started working about 18 hrs after I pitched in the enegizer and put the heat belt on it.
Thanks, Dean

That's great, guys! Feedback is much appreciated. Conversions are anticipated. I've indoctrinated a few "non-wine drinkers" with the DB as well. Those who ask to buy some are given a grocery list and a place to order bottles. I tell them to bring me the goods and I'll make them some wine. If they're serious, they bring me the stuff. If not, I don't hear from them.

Glad it took off for you, Dean. Keep us posted along the way.

I started three more batches of wine yesterday, myself. Two DB: one with raisins and bananas, and one with some added oak (always trying new stuff). And a batch of one of my new favorates---blackberry---made with 12lbs of blackberries and no lemon juice (4 tsp acid blend for balance). Otherwise, it follows the same recipe as the DB. The first one turned out so good, I tried this one with some oak. I found the bags of frozen blackberries at Sam's Club.

I just love making wine!!! Wine on, people!

It was 71B-1122 yeast - sorry - tried to remember it from a poor memory. But looked it up at home over lunch.

I have used that yeast before, Dean. It should work just fine. I plan to do some yeast comparisons some day---when I get around to it.

RoundTuit.jpg

I just can't seem to find one!

Latest posts

Back