Dragon Blood Sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the triple berry juice to back sweeten after clearing? If you look at the Dragonette Recipe it calls for one bag of triple berry squeezed juice, about a quart of juice and pectic enzyme. Just wondering if anyone has done that and how you like it..

I already back sweetened with 2 cups of sugar made into a syrup and it brought my sg up to exactly 1.000. ( 3 gallon batch) I think its gonna need more sweetening so i was thinking of trying the juice addition. However, im gonna wait a week or two to see how it is then. Thanks.

I used 3/4 cup of sugar in my 1-gallon batch, and I think that ended up being a little too sweet for me. (I didn't make it into a syrup, and I'm not thinking maybe I will for the next batch). I have no idea what that back-sweetened it up to. I only have one bottle left, so I can still test that.

It sounds intriguing. I plan on seeing what other folks say!

I haven't used the squeezed juice but does it have enough sugar? The original recipe calls for something like 20 cups sugar for AF so the fruit is not particularly sweet...

Thx!
-jb

I haven't used the squeezed juice but does it have enough sugar? The original recipe calls for something like 20 cups sugar for AF so the fruit is not particularly sweet...

Thx!
-jb

Well according to that recipe you still add sugar to your liking after adding the juice. Im just wondering if the juice addition adds a bit more fruit flavor to it. Im sure it sweetens it a bit, but very little.

I want to be very careful with the sugar because i think i added a bit to much in my first batch, even tho it came out great! Im just not big on heavy sweetness but you have to add it to this wine. My last batch was sweetened to sg of 1.012. I dont remember the exact amount of sugar as i didn't mark it down, but it was at least 4-5 cups. (3 gallon batch)

My current batch (3 gallon) is at sg of 1.000 after my first back sweetening with 2 cups of sugar . Big difference of sg 1.012 of last batch. However, it is still a little harsh and will probably need a bit more sugar. Im adding by half cups and tasting, then checking sg as a reference for next time. This batch i also added double the fruit, so im wondering if it needs more sugar just because of that.

Also the syrup really works great! My last batch i started by just adding the sugar directly and even after stirring the crap out of it, some settled on bottom. Then i went to a syrup and over did it a bit. My current batch i started with the syrup and its still very clear and i see nothing on the bottom after a few days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back