Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'll try that, I have a cherry tree that's about ready and I'm thinking my lime is coming out to strong on the lime, half and half would have been better I think

I whipped up 6 gals in a 15 gal. MiniBrew unit. Is there any problem degassing in this unit or does it need to be racked into a carboy first? I can't imagine it would make a difference...

Derek, I have a cherry/lemon clearing right now. To my surprise, the cherries did not impart any cherry flavor to the wine. It came out more like a dry red. I'm trying to figure out how much cherry koolaid to add so it will actually taste like cherries! :?

I whipped up 6 gals in a 15 gal. MiniBrew unit. Is there any problem degassing in this unit or does it need to be racked into a carboy first? I can't imagine it would make a difference...

Is that one of those conical fermenters? Those are so cool! I want one some day! I'd be making 15 gallon batches of Dragon Blood. I have a 32 gallon can that I can make big batches in, but the Minibrews are nice!

well, its the biggest typhoon to hit this island in 13 years, so what am i doing? making wine all weekend of course! whipped up 9 gallons of dragon blood last night and diving back into the kitchen today. as you can see on the right, i bought a bottle of lime to sub in for some lemon in one batch, as suggested on this thread. i've been using a four berry blend because that's all that i can get, and like you dave, i cant really detect the cherry at the forefront either.
photo29.jpg

Smack, did you just swap out regular juice for the fruit? What is the measurement...one gallon juice per one gallon wine?

Is that one of those conical fermenters? Those are so cool! I want one some day! I'd be making 15 gallon batches of Dragon Blood. I have a 32 gallon can that I can make big batches in, but the Minibrews are nice!

I get good use out of these. Now if my Dragon Blood is a hit with the ladies I can go into full production after grape season. Get them away from my stock so it can age!

Cigars 014.jpg

Cigars 020.jpg

Harvest 2010 053.jpg

nope, i use frozen berries for the dragon blood. all that juice is for other miscellaneous wines i make from juice. made 3 gallons of cranberry pomegranate today. still have to make the cranberry blackberry, cranberry raspberry, cranberry grape, cranberry, apple berry, and apple grape :) they all turn out delicious, would be better if i had some whole fruit to ferment on for more body, but nobody complains about the store bought juice wines.

For the juice wines, it is as simple as finding juice flavors you want to use and fermenting as normal? 100% juice only? All juice no water? Sounds too easy to be true, but then again so is skeeter pee :)

For the juice wines, it is as simple as finding juice flavors you want to use and fermenting as normal? 100% juice only? All juice no water? Sounds too easy to be true, but then again so is skeeter pee :)

Yes, the one I made is really coming into it's own now and tastes great. By the way, welcome to the forum!!!

oldwhiskers said:
Yes, the one I made is really coming into it's own now and tastes great. By the way, welcome to the forum!!!

Just to clarify for myself, I would simply purchase the juice and sugar. Pour juice in fermenter and adjust the specific gravity to my likings? Add nutrients and yeast and let her rip? That does sound too easy!!

Just to clarify for myself, I would simply purchase the juice and sugar. Pour juice in fermenter and adjust the specific gravity to my likings? Add nutrients and yeast and let her rip? That does sound too easy!!

I make my apple juice wine that way and a few other juice varieties, it works pretty good. Just add sugar, adjust TA, add yeast, nutrients, energizer and yeast. My variation of Dragon's Blood used juices instead of fruit, Realemon, topped up with water, sugar, nutrients, energizer and yeast.

you got it. its the easiest. i go on the road a lot, and sometimes if i'm going to be in a hotel for more than a couple of weeks, i'll even make it right in the plastic bottle. pour some out to make room for sugar and a little head space for foaming, add bread makers yeast, and stick a balloon on top with a couple pin prick holes. shake it every day for two weeks, and then drink. it wont be clear by then, but still tastes great, no nutrients or additives. i call it cider to anyone who i share it with :) when i'm at home though i put it into glass carboys and let it sit for months. in a year its remarkable.

it is as simple as finding juice flavors you want to use

btw i have found that any cranberry blend turns out amazing. most recently i had an apple/currant blend that blew my mind in a couple weeks. i like dry wines, so i dont backsweeten anything, nor have i found the need to add k meta or sorbate, just my experience. i practice rigorous sterile procedure though :h

What S. G. do you normally shoot for? Do you use the same amounts of nutrients as you do in skeeter pee for a 6 gallon batch?

i shoot for 1.085. when i use nutrients, i use them according to the instructions on the packaging.

I'm about to stir up a variation on the Dragon Blood without lemon juice. Just berries (in a bag), sugar, and water. I'm going to bump the fruit up to 12 pounds in two bags, I think. This was my wife's request. The acid level has been getting to her a bit.

Latest posts

Back