Dragon Blood-High SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
OMG! Was very excited to start my first-ever batch of Danger Dave’s DB last night. Followed the recipe precisely, and waited 24 hrs to pitch my yeast (EC-1118) but my Initial SG reading tonight is 1.125 (corrected.) YIKES! If this ferments dry we’re looking at like 17% ABV? YIKES again!
Was looking for that “1.09” range. Used the 20 lbs of sugar, and the frozen Triple Berry blend from Meijer, but what might have happened? Any suggestions/recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
(Looks like I won’t have to back-sweeten!)

Last edited:
So now...I need to get each batch to the proper proportions/ratio of berries, sugar and water. I have another ferment bucket. How is this to be done if the fruit in the first batch has already begun to meld with the sugar water. I cant simply put 3 bags of fruit into the 2nd bucket, right? That would make for a higher than called for amount of fruit. (Knowing, though, that I will be mixing the 2 batches after ferm has completed and continuing from there.)

yes, add more fruit. I add 3-4# of fruit per gal for Dragon Blood. I found it way too watery with just 1# per gal.

Or if it is a big enough container just add it to the origional and let er ferment. Arne.
I wish I had a container that large. I plan to siphon half of this batch into the 2nd bucket, then add half of the required ingredients to EACH container except that I plan to add only 2 bags of berries to the 2nd batch (since it has fruit mixed into solution from the 1st batch) and add one bag of berries to the 1st batch to help compensate. (The berry issue is my best gestimate.) Wish me luck!

I wish I had a container that large. I plan to siphon half of this batch into the 2nd bucket, then add half of the required ingredients to EACH container except that I plan to add only 2 bags of berries to the 2nd batch (since it has fruit mixed into solution from the 1st batch) and add one bag of berries to the 1st batch to help compensate. (The berry issue is my best gestimate.) Wish me luck!

How about a 20 gallon or 32 gallon food-grade trash can from lowes/home depot/Menards/walmart. I use the gray ones, some folks like the white and the yellow. They work great for larger sized batches.

How about a 20 gallon or 32 gallon food-grade trash can from lowes/home depot/Menards/walmart. I use the gray ones, some folks like the white and the yellow. They work great for larger sized batches.
Well shoot! I didn’t know there WAS a food grade trash can. Who cares if their trash is safe to eat?! LOL!
Anyway, that is a stellar idea. I just wish I had read this sooner. I just finished splitting that batch, so now I have 2 6-gal batches going! The SG readings are both 1.086 now, so hopefully this takes off. I will report back later.
Thanks to all for your advice and support!

First Batch of Dragonblood! Just excited to follow thru with process!!Got some regarding issue with mango peach one smell strong! Feel like I top them all off with 2 much water put comments make u feel like can't make no mistakes. Besides my first disasters broke hydrometer and put potassium sorbate in 3 b4 I even drop yeast in them crazy comeback story all straight so far! Awesome experience checkmate!

Attachments

• 1553825268228471363482.jpg
    1553825268228471363482.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back