Dragon Blood dropping sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noontime

Custom Label Printing & Design
Reaction score
My wife and I made Dragon Blood, used bentonite during fermentation and sparkaloid to clear. Bottled 2 weeks later and it was crystal clear. 3 months in the bottle and its dropping quite a bit of sediment. Anyone else have this problem?

If you take a strong light and shine thru the wine, if it is really clear, you won't see the beam as it passes thru. If the beam shows the wine has not cleared all the way. That is the best way I have found to tell you can bottle without sediment falling later. Arne.

Time..........Letting it bulk age for 6 months should make a big difference in sediment. I age all of my Red wines for 15 months or more then I clear them.

It was crystal clear when we bottled. I've had this problem with other non grape wines as well. I made a "mojito" wine and a frozen concentrate (with fruit added) that did the same thing, only those I did bulk age for 4 to 6 months. I now see why people filter their wines :)

It may have refermented, open one up and see if it pops when the cork comes out, do it now before the corks come out by them selfs

Don't get nervous it's just some residual sugar that's falling out and also crystallized tartaric acid. It's just about impossible to remove completely. Even if u rack a dozen times u will still end up with these sediment particles AFTER u bottle. Don't worry, there's no taste affect.

unless you filter, you are going to have sediment, even with filtering you may have sediment.

Nope. :) It wasn't a refermentation. It's defintely something that coagulates after some time in my non-grape wines. Looks like my choices for the future are time or filtering.

if you filter thought dont you start stripping color and flavor?

I dont seem to get anything dropping out until i get to the last couple of bottles out of the carboy, which are the first ones i drink because some of the fine lee's get pulled in. Im looking at a batch of Quadberry that I just botteled and its perfect nothing in the bottom at all and it hasnt been any longer than normal.

Den.....98% of wineries filter their wine. If you ask 100 winemakers you will get 100 answers. Some argue that the molecules (Flavor & Aroma) are two big to fit through the filter thus not removing them. If you are not willing to bulk age your wines for 18 -24 years then filtering is going to be your sure bet. Do a side by side compare, filter some and leave some unfiltered to see if you can detect the difference.

I am making my variant of Dragon's blood called TRU Blood. I will be filtering and then bottle. I usually do not filter I bulk age on average 17 -18 months before bottling and the high quality kits will drop sediment all along the way! Cheers.

If u do decide to filter but dont want to pay big $$$ here an idea. I use a whole house water filter from home depot they are cheap the non charcoal filter work great . I have a small drill operated pump to push the wine through i run hot water and sanitizer before and after .a filter is good for many batches plus with 3/4 inch tubing it don't take long for a 6 gl carboy

If u do decide to filter but dont want to pay big $$$ here an idea. I use a whole house water filter from home depot they are cheap the non charcoal filter work great . I have a small drill operated pump to push the wine through i run hot water and sanitizer before and after .a filter is good for many batches plus with 3/4 inch tubing it don't take long for a 6 gl carboy

Id like to see that drill setup if you have any pics?

heres a pic sorry it took so long ive been distracted

thumb1_img_0023-2177.jpg

That's really interesting - I was expecting to see a peristaltic pump if it was being run by a drill. Maybe it still is, but I just can't tell. How much does one of those bad boys run, and where could we possibly find one? Seems pretty cool.

The small black pump that you use a drill on is like $8 the filter is $20 at home depot a couple more for fittings clamps and plastic lines im not sure cause i already had that stuff

Latest posts

Back