Dragon Blood.... 1 gallon measurements?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zintrigue

Reaction score
So before anyone tells me to just make 5 or 6 gallons because it's the same amount of work: I have 1 gallon equipment and it's the right size for my busy kitchen with 3 kids running around me like escaped zoo monkeys. When the zoo monkeys are less hazardous I'll upgrade to bigger equipment that I won't need to hide. :dg

Now then. My first kit is nearing completion and I'm steepling my fingers like Mr Burns from the Simpsons as I prepare to make some Dragon Blood wine. Some parts of the recipe gave me pause, though.

One sixth of 1tsp of yeast energizer is a dash. Is there a minimum amount should be using for this? Like half a teaspoon minimum, or really just stick with the dash and call it good?

A sixth of 1/4tsp Potassium Metabisulfite is barely a few grains. Doesn't seem like it's doing anything at that point and my instinct is to add more. Thoughts from the experienced folks?

A little insight would be appreciated. Thank you

-Zintrigue

Most folks who work with gallons use campden tabs because it is easier for gallons. One does have to crush them tho so I still prefer the granular Kmeta. I understand what you have in your spoon just doesn't seem worthwhile, but it is crucial. Several of our sponsors here sell very tiny measuring spoons mostly in the cheese making dept. I have several sets. they are 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 tsp. I generally use an almost full 1/16 tsp for gallon or 4 liter jug.

http://labelpeelers.com/equipment/misc/3-piece-stainless-steel-measuring-spoon-set/

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/mini-measuring-spoon-set.html

Pam in cinti

Yes as Srevelaz said double the fruit. I made a batch just by dividing by 5 and the color is more of a blush than red. It is still aging (started mid-Dec), but the last time I tasted it the flavor was 'light.' I decided to let it age a month or two to see if it developed any more of the berry flavor.

So before anyone tells me to just make 5 or 6 gallons because it's the same amount of work: I have 1 gallon equipment and it's the right size for my busy kitchen with 3 kids running around me like escaped zoo monkeys. When the zoo monkeys are less hazardous I'll upgrade to bigger equipment that I won't need to hide. :dg

Now then. My first kit is nearing completion and I'm steepling my fingers like Mr Burns from the Simpsons as I prepare to make some Dragon Blood wine. Some parts of the recipe gave me pause, though.

One sixth of 1tsp of yeast energizer is a dash. Is there a minimum amount should be using for this? Like half a teaspoon minimum, or really just stick with the dash and call it good?

A sixth of 1/4tsp Potassium Metabisulfite is barely a few grains. Doesn't seem like it's doing anything at that point and my instinct is to add more. Thoughts from the experienced folks?

A little insight would be appreciated. Thank you

-Zintrigue

I, like you, started off making one gallon batches of DB. When it comes to some of the chemical additions, use what is recommended on the bottle they come in. For instance, regardless of what the DB recipe calls for use 1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme per gallon, 1 - 1.5 tsp. nutrient per gallon, and so on.
As far as kmeta (Potassium Metabisulfite), I generally use a 1/4 to 1/2 of 1/4 tsp. I just eyeball it.

Most folks who work with gallons use campden tabs because it is easier for gallons. One does have to crush them tho so I still prefer the granular Kmeta. I understand what you have in your spoon just doesn't seem worthwhile, but it is crucial. Several of our sponsors here sell very tiny measuring spoons mostly in the cheese making dept. I have several sets. they are 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 tsp. I generally use an almost full 1/16 tsp for gallon or 4 liter jug.

http://labelpeelers.com/equipment/misc/3-piece-stainless-steel-measuring-spoon-set/

https://www.homebrewsupply.com/mini-measuring-spoon-set.html

Pam in cinti

Oh wow, those are helpful. Thank you

make sure you at least double the fruit...

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

(I'm quite literally that clueless) :ib

-Zintrigue

Yes as Srevelaz said double the fruit. I made a batch just by dividing by 5 and the color is more of a blush than red. It is still aging (started mid-Dec), but the last time I tasted it the flavor was 'light.' I decided to let it age a month or two to see if it developed any more of the berry flavor.

Okay so he wasn't joking with me. Haha

I, like you, started off making one gallon batches of DB. When it comes to some of the chemical additions, use what is recommended on the bottle they come in. For instance, regardless of what the DB recipe calls for use 1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme per gallon, 1 - 1.5 tsp. nutrient per gallon, and so on.
As far as kmeta (Potassium Metabisulfite), I generally use a 1/4 to 1/2 of 1/4 tsp. I just eyeball it.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much

-Zintrigue

Try this for this is what I do: Mix kmeta (1/4 tsp for 6 gal) in a medicine bottle that has ounces marked on the side, with 6 ounces of water. Then use 1 ounce of this liquid per gallon. Medicine bottles can be found at a pharmacy.

So before anyone tells me to just make 5 or 6 gallons because it's the same amount of work

You should order yourself a 3 gallon better bottle and do a 3 gallon batch. it is not that big and very sleek looking. I have one i have been doing 3 gallon batches of db in it. Believe me DB is so good you will regret only doing 1 gallon! lol

better bottle, 3 gal.jpg

So before anyone tells me to just make 5 or 6 gallons because it's the same amount of work

You should order yourself a 3 gallon better bottle and do a 3 gallon batch. it is not that big and very sleek looking. I have one i have been doing 3 gallon batches of db in it. Believe me DB is so good you will regret only doing 1 gallon! lol

$33.57 on amazon, not too shabby!

-Zintrigue

$33.57 on amazon, not too shabby!

-Zintrigue

Question - since it's plastic - when its full and you pick it up do the side walls compress? I can see that pushing out wine or sucking in Sanitizer in some situations. Also how long does one last before it gets stained or cloudy from minute scratches?

Obviously I'm a fan of glass since I can get all the 4 liter carboys I need free but I'm always open to a good solution to having multiple carboys - I am moving more toward 3-4 gallon batches.

Question - since it's plastic - when its full and you pick it up do the side walls compress? I can see that pushing out wine or sucking in Sanitizer in some situations. Also how long does one last before it gets stained or cloudy from minute scratches?

Obviously I'm a fan of glass since I can get all the 4 liter carboys I need free but I'm always open to a good solution to having multiple carboys - I am moving more toward 3-4 gallon batches.

When it full you really do not want to grab it by the sides. What i do is grab the neck with one hand and put the other hand under it and lift that way. i really do not have a problem with my 6 gallons and the 3 gallon full is a piece of cake. When i moved the 6 gallons to the garage for cold stabilization i put them in milk crates which made that move very easy.

To give you an example of how much lighter they are, i grabbed the full 6 gallon carboy by the neck and lifted it into the crate.

As far as scratches go, i do not believe i have any in mine. I usually do my degassing in a bucket then transfer back to the carboy. I have degassed in the carboy before and was careful not to hit the sides with the whip.

As far as being stained or cloudy, none that i can see. I clean them very well when done and before storing. I really do like them!

Latest posts

Back