Double Oaked Chardonnay!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used American oak, but that’s not to say French wouldn’t work. It’s what I had on hand. I had another bottle of this batch tonight. It blows me away every time I taste it. I’m going to make this again for sure.

As far as K-Meta, my process is a bit different from conventional since I use FastFerment conicals. Primary and secondary are all in one vessel and both the gross and fine lees fall out into the collection ball. Once I move the wine to a carboy, after 2 months for white (3 months for red if doing an EM), I add the Kmeta pack from the kit, skip the sorbate and all the finings. I let my white wine age 6 months, minimum, in the carboy. There’s usually a fine dusting in the bottom of the carboy after 6 months that I don’t feel any need to rack the wine off of. In fact, I never rack at all once it hits the carboy and never add Kmeta again. I filter (Buon Vino #2 pad) during bottling.

Hope that helps...

Crushday: I have been looking at the FastFerment and I have a couple questions.

1) There are some negative comments are about the ability to clean the value. Do you find this hard to do? There is another conical fermentor with a larger valve so not sure if this really makes a difference.

2) Do you use the stand? It looks a little rickety and would like to know your thoughts

3) Also would like to know your thoughts on a carrying strap if you have one.

Latest posts

Back