Double Lever Corker and #8 corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I usually cork using a rubber mallet and a plastic guide with plunger but I have a double lever corker and I wonder if there is a preferred cork size for that corker. I generally don't use 7 x 1 3/4 corks (they seem to be inserted too easily) but the corker seems to insert these better than #8 corks (8 x 1 1/2) which slightly deform at the top. Should I be using a different size cork?

Bernard, I use a #9 x 1.75" with a floor corker. The #7 goes in easier because it is a smaller diameter than the #8. If you can swing it, I recommend a floor corker with a #9 cork.

Thanks Rocky, I tend to make small batches of wine and so cannot really justify spending money on a floor corker. I wish I could...

I use 8s with my double lever, and my drill press corker.
I add a little one step in a zip lock bag, and keep in the frig...So they do not dry out, I worry more about them being to dry then sainitary,I add water to the bag before bottling.

So I should be using 8s with the double lever hand corker. I will need to think about how I can prevent the deformation of the corks at the top. Apologies but I am unable to post a photo to show this because the flash fills in too much of the shadow to highlight the deformation. But the top of the cork looks a bit like a cap with a short bill. Perhaps I need to fix a penny or something to the plunger to distribute the pressure more evenly.

Not sure about this James, but there seems to be some debate about the value of soaking or the need to sanitize corks. The Wine Wizard , for example, argues against sanitization for 3 reasons A) it is unnecessary because the surface of the corks have already been chemically treated to retard bacterial growth and bags sealed by the cork distributer (she says) have been sealed with the addition of SO2, B) you may be destroying the surface treatment that was already applied and so unintentionally encouraging contamination and C) the surface treatment creates additional friction that helps prevent the corks from slipping in or out of the neck too easily. Soaking the corks destroys this surface and so allows more access between the neck of the bottle and the cork to air and contaminants. If you are using synthetic "corks", none of that may apply.
http://winemakermag.com/630-should-i-boil-or-soak-my-corks-prior-to-bottling

Bernard, many of us on the forum use a "corkerator" in which we allow the corks to sit in the gases given off by K-meta sanitizing solution. This does not wet the corks but does kill any bacteria on them. There are many ways to make such an apparatus. Here is what I use. It is an old salad spinner that no longer worked as a spinner but work fine for my purpose. I pour about 1/2" of the K-meta solution into the bottom of the outer container, put the corks into the basket, which holds them above the solution and cover them with the top. While I am doing other bottling functions, the corks rest in the gases for about a half hour to 45 minutes.

100_0407.jpg

100_0408.jpg

Bernard, many of us on the forum use a "corkerator" in which we allow the corks to sit in the gases given off by K-meta sanitizing solution. This does not wet the corks but does kill any bacteria on them. There are many ways to make such an apparatus. Here is what I use. It is an old salad spinner that no longer worked as a spinner but work fine for my purpose. I pour about 1/2" of the K-meta solution into the bottom of the outer container, put the corks into the basket, which holds them above the solution and cover them with the top. While I am doing other bottling functions, the corks rest in the gases for about a half hour to 45 minutes.

That is a great idea, Rocky. I am going to borrow it. Thanks

I use the 7 or the 8 with that corker. Just make sure you place the bottle on the floor fimlt between your feet and push down to insert cork. Push it down in the chamber so the cork set nice in the bottle. If your forget tha, t sometimes you have some sticking up. Your fine with that corker till you feel like splurging on the floor corker

if you buy your corks and there moist, in a hermetically sealed bag..i would do nothing.
corks dry out, if they been sitting on a shelf in an open bag, they are dry..
thats why i soak mine....
just me.

You know Iv noticed my corks are really dry lately I go to pull them out of the bottle and half brakes off so I have to do it twice. Old batch or something. I get synthetic but Im using up my older one which are really not that old

To be honest when my son helps me. I use the hand corker and beat him every time :) I fill them and set them just tight on the floor and walk over them, down the row and cork. He setting in the floor fumbling with bottles. So go figure.

Latest posts

Back