Double hole bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a 2 holed bung? I have been looking online and i can't find any sold separately.

#6 - i have a vacuum pump that i was going to use to rack my wine from carboy to carboy - and i was going to make a 1 gallon glass jug into a reservoir to catch wine from going into the vacuum.

You can go this way
carboy-cap-3-5-and-6-gallon-carboys_1.jpg

found here: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carboy-cap-3-5-and-6-gallon-carboys.html

Thats zaxtly what I use with my pump. Both for racking and degassing.
Brad

I use a combination of that cap and this (Look clear down at the bottom of the page). That site will also clearly explain what you need and how to do it. A little pricey though.

There are two holed bungs available - I have a couple, size 6.5 or 7, I believe, and cost about 2 bucks. They are black in color - sorry, don't have a picture.

There are two holed bungs available - I have a couple, size 6.5 or 7, I believe, and cost about 2 bucks. They are black in color - sorry, don't have a picture.

Yeah - the are lab bungs:

http://www.widgetco.com/hardware/rubber-stoppers?search=rubber+stoppers+2+hole&gclid=CIGihqHsp6ICFVD75wodtg3xQA

I think those will work - but i have an extra solid bung - think i will just freeze it and drill 2 holes :h

WOW, I can't believe it. I just bookmarked this place to check out again later and did not see these. They are quiet cheap there. I was looking for personalized corks for another post when i came across this place. Thanks for sharing and for sure i will be looking into this some more when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is way cheaper is just getting a solid bung, freezing it and drilling the holes yourself while it is frozen.[/QUOTE]

This can be done but it is easier said. I tried freezing overnite, but that was a waste of time. The rubber would not freeze. I finally drilled 2 1/16" holes then a 1/4" drill and then I used my dremel to grind it out to the correct size. I tried doing it in a vise but the vise distorted it too much. I held it in my hand to do the whole job for 2 corks. Wow. :b :b

Ive made 2 with the freezing method, use a brad point drill bit though.

For those who might be interested I use a custom drilled 2 hole - 6.5 tapered gum stopper. It works really well with the 3/8 racking tube and a ¼ hole for vacuum control.
This stopper can also be used for an airlock to fit the 3/8 id and a thermometer to to fit in the ¼ ‘’ hole to check your temp at any time - fits 1, 3, 5, 6, 6.5, 7 gallon carboys (most common).
Price is $8.00 includes shipping
I also make all sorts of custom size bungs for barrels as well !
email me for additional info or purchasing - [email protected]

Latest posts

Back