Quantcast

Dornfelder Harvest 2018

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

JimInNJ

Reaction score
Harvested the Dornfelder on September 22nd, four vines, one in each corner of my little vineyard:
DornfelderHarvest.jpg

My "Italian" Destemmer in action:

After Destemming:DornfelderDestemmed.jpg
Crushing:

Ready to Ferment:
DornfelderFerment.jpg

...One week later...

Pressing 1:

Pressing 2:

After Pressing, before Racking off Gross Lees:
DornfelderPostPressing.jpg

Last edited:

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Nice, dornfelder is pretty rare in N.A. I've made a couple batches of it. Our cousins are commercial growers and keep a couple rows of dornfelder for their mom.

JimInNJ

Reaction score
My mother is also a Dornfelder fan, either as a semisweet wine or as a table grape. We've never had a dry Dornfelder to try, but we will in a few months.

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
My mother is also a Dornfelder fan, either as a semisweet wine or as a table grape. We've never had a dry Dornfelder to try, but we will in a few months.
Let a few bottles of that dry one age a bit. I have a dry batch I made from local grapes (Southern PA) and it's improving with age. It's about to turn 37 months old, I think I need to open a bottle (and I owe a bottle to @bkisel, who I will attempt to see next weekend if he's around). Used BDX yeast and CH35 MLB. I still have 16 bottles left from the batch, glad I've saved that many. I'd like to take a few bottles up over 5 yrs old if I can, the aging potential is definitely there in my opinion.

Latest posts