DOn't have enough yeast - can I mix?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
I didn't buy enough yeast... (BM4x4) - I have some ICVD254 - can I mix it in? I need to innoculate by tonight because I bought my fresh must last night...

I have 47 gallons of must and the packets state that the 5 grams is good for up to 6 gallons. I have only 5 packets so enough for 30 gallons. And I have 8 grams of ICVD254 which I actually have left over from last year so I hope it hasn't expired.

My main concern is that I won't have enough yeast even if I mix in the other stuff.

What should I do?! Will I have enough to activate the fermentation? Can I add more yeast in a couple of days? Should I mix in the other stuff?

Thanks for any help with this!

Im interested in finding out the answer to this question as well. Following this thread. Ive used one packet on over 6 gallons before, up to 8 gallons and its gone completely dry. From 1.1 to .992. But that was K1-1116, not bm4x4

Last edited:
Im interested in finding out the answer to this question as well. Following this thread. Ive used one packet on over 6 gallons before, up to 8 gallons and its gone completely dry. From 1.1 to .992. But that was K1-1116, not bm4x4

Well, I hope someone gets back to me soon as I don't have much of a window... my wine supply guy is closed until Tuesday...

Last edited:
the 5 grams is for finished wine of 5 gallons.. 5 gallons would be 60lbs of grape. you have enough for your must. make sure you hydrate properly and add yeast nutrient once fermentation starts. you should be good to go. punch down twice daily. check with hydrometer your progress. it will start fermenting iwithin 48 hours.

Is it ok to mix in last year's ICVD254 (8gr) with the 5 packets of BM4x4 or just go with the 5 packets of BM?

thanks!!

Is it ok to mix in last year's ICVD254 (8gr) with the 5 packets of BM4x4 or just go with the 5 packets of BM?

thanks!!

Id just go with bm4x4 if salcoco says its enuf, most likely both yeasts cant coexist so the stronger one will eventually take out the other one

Id just go with bm4x4 if salcoco says its enuf, most likely both yeasts cant coexist so the stronger one will eventually take out the other one

Re-read Salcoco's post - He states that 5 gallons of finished = 60lbs of grapes... but I bouht 12 lugs @ 36lbs and that's 432 lbs. I'm terrble at math but that seems I still fall short... or am I miscalculating again?

Either way, i'm stuck with what I got.. I wil go with BM 4x4. If I see fermentation isn't coming along much, can I add more B< 4x4 a few days from now or is that a no no?

Thanks for the help.

The 12 lugs will net 35 gallons give or take a few depending on the grapes. You'll be fine with the 5 packets in your batch. Not necessary, but if you really want to go the extra mile, pull out a 5 gallon pail of the must and use one packet there, then add the other 4 packs to the rest of the batch. Once the pail gets going strong, combine it with the main batch. As salcoco indicated, add nutrients to the batch once activity is seen, and again around 12 brix.

I added Go Ferm with the yeast... as per More Wine instructions... I just innoculated the must... I will add Ferm-aid as the fermentation commences...

thanks!

Use your bm4x4, rehydrate with the proper amount of goferm, have fermaid k on standby if u start to smell any h2s drop in a couple teaspoons, your only other option at this point is to get that must into a refrigerator. Salcoco said you have enuf bm4x4, so your gonna be our ginea pig, to be honest those yeast packs never call for goferm or fermaid so id say if you get those yeasties real happy there probly bound to eat alot more sugar than there designed to do in a worse case scenario, good luck, i think youll be fine.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I miss read your 47 gallons as 47lbs. but you are still okay. you are hydrating properly and you are actually adding 25 grams of yeast which is a little short but it will just take a little longer to start fermentation. make sure you add the nutrient later on. you can add more yeast later, but I do not think it will be necessary. the yeast will multiply very fast and will start consuming the sugar quickly. make sure you do punch down that will add oxygen and help the yeast keep going. if the yeast is stressed, you will have H2S if so keep stirring add nutrient and you will be okay. sorry for the miss read.
the basic rule I follow is one gram yeast to one gallon finished wine. 12-15 lbs grape must will make one gallon finished wine.

Update:

Things have progressed VERY WELL! Started with an SG of 1.100 on Sunday morning. It at 1.033 now. Very vigorous ferment.. temps in low 80s. PH was at 3.83 and TA at 6.2 when I began, I added tartaric and it's at 3.49 now! Perfect... Taste seems very good so far.. I will be performing an MLF.

thanks for all the help

Latest posts

Back