dont be scared..show your age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
I am 60...I grew up with 3 channels of tv, a rotary phone and a attic fan.
I watched sky king, (penny)...real mccoys, gunsmoke and the rifleman.
I remember the big huge radios...
I remember bakelite.
I remember donna reed/ my three stones, and lassie.

No TV. Radio was king. Remember Amos and Andy, Dragnet, Jack Benny and the Lone Ranger.
TV... Winky Dink. Hasn't been anything worth watching since that show went off the air.
smilie.gif

Ice cream cup covers with Hopalong Cassidy et al.
Fruit box, 2x4 and skates made a scooter.
Skully/Skelly season, top season, Yoyo season, stickball seaseon, etc
Summers in cottage in CT... BB guns, inner tubes, hiking the brook, primitive archery, Schwinn bicycles, etc.

Wheff, my head hurts from all this remembering.
smilie.gif

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt2u1g_a-complete-winky-dink-show-from-the-1950s_shortfilms"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt2u1g_a-complete-winky-dink-show-from-the-1950s_shortfilms[/ame]

Last edited:

Remembering hearing the KIAs and MIAs in a place called Viet Nam on the news, having a black and white TV and feeling like we were rich when we got a color floor model TV. Watching studio wrestling on Friday nights before the Brady bunch and the Partridge Family came on and being allowed to stay up late enough to watch Love American Style. Not seeing a computer until being a senior in high school and not being able to touch one until a sophomore in college. In Pittsburgh we ate at Winkys (because they were cheap), went to McDonalds for the first time on vacation in Erie (McDonalds had yellow, white and red straws and cost more than Winky's). I remember being called into the All Purpose room in third grade to watch a small black and white TV show us some guy walking on the moon (at the time, I was not impressed)

I turned 71 at the end of May this year. I enjoy this song by the Stattler Brothers and hope that you will too. I remember each and every one of the things they sing about, including wearing knickers to school!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXtR-CaK6p4[/ame]

James I forgot all about the Real McCoys, we watched them all the time. At 57, Flipper, Gentle Ben, Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, Patty Duke, Captain Kangaroo, Lost in Space. We had a separate tuner so you could get more than one UHF channel. Transister radio, tidally winks, jacks, pick up sticks, tinker toys and hop scotch. Taking hunting rifles to school for show and tell, playing war at recess and telling other kids you were going to kill them actually meant you might wrestle. Carrying a jack knife to school meant your might be a Boy Scout but it was very normal to have one.
Getting paddled or in trouble at school meant you were sick to your stomach the rest of the day knowing what was going to happen when Dad got home. Oh the list goes on...

I'll be 62 in Feb, but remember talking to your girlfriend on the wall phone in the kitchen, roller derby, Quickdraw Mc Graw, Yogi Bear, Ruff and Reddy. I thought Annette Funicello was hot, she was beautiful in mouse ears!!

Daktari with Cheetah the chimp, watching Bobby Kennedy's body come back via train, the Pirates moving into 3 Rivers, hearing about a concert in NY and seeing a helicopter view of woodstock, getting an autograph from Frenchy Fuqua of the 72 Steelers as my dad worked with his girlfriend. Having only 2, 4, 11 and 13 (and 52 on a good day) on the TV (but we had to put aluminum foil on the antenae). Having mom not know if they would make the $200 mortgage payment unless dad worked overtime....

Can't forget I love Lucy and the Honeymooners. Big TV with a little picture, RCA victor, and til I was 5 the outhouse. Thinking back, I wonder how much fun that was on a nite like tonite. Last time out it was 2 below and going down. Can you stick to a wood outhouse seat?? LOL, Arne.

Almost forgot, do you remember the Ed Sullivan show and the nite the Beetles showed up in the States??

50. Just barely born when JFK was killed, and don't remember Bobby or MLKs assassinations, but remember Nixon being elected, Viet Nam (including POW bracelets, as others have mentioned), the British Invasion, the moon landing, My Lai, George Wallace's shooting, Watergate, Nixon resigning, Hurricane Agnes, Elvis dying, eating my fill of welfare cheese, Gilligan's Island, the Brady Bunch, the Partridge Family, Love, American Style, Laugh-In, The Smothers Brothers, (all in prime time), bars and restaurants that advertised "Air Conditioning" in letters resembling ice cubes, "Unsafe at Any Speed," the fall of Saigon, SALT, Midgetman, Whip Inflation Now.... The list goes on!

I'll bring it down a bit; 42...
I remember my Dad's Armstrong Sidley Sapphire, and carless days in the fuel shortage.
B&W TV for sure; (not much of a tv fan here).
Buying bread and milk for small coins from the dairy.
Getting 10 lollies for 1 cent! WOW!

I am just a little older than Rocky, i can remember the outhouse in winter real well. How about shoveling out the clotheslines in the
winter. Remember the first TV show, it was Big Top on Sunday night.

Bill

52, lost in space, partridge family, batman and robin,Starsky and Hutch. And I thought Erik Estrada on Chips was hot (until Welcome Back Kotter, then John Travolta won my heart).I was 10 when we got our 1st colored tv.And had to walk to school.lol

Back